Shop size

DALSAW

Not quite I'm thinking more like a 40'X40' with 12' ceilings for a total of 1600 Sq Ft, I submittied what my ideas are to several companies today. I'm hoping to have some quotes tomorrow or Thursday.

That will be a very nice size shop! What is your reasoning behind the the 12' ceilings? I have 10 with 2x4 light troffers that are not flush mounted and have never came close to tapping one. Just food for thought..that's a lot of extra volume to heat and cool.

Not quite I'm thinking more like a 40'X40' with 12' ceilings for a total of 1600 Sq Ft, I submittied what my ideas are to several companies today. I'm hoping to have some quotes tomorrow or Thursday.

Just curious Aaron. What type of structure did you decide on? Metal, 2x, timber-frame, post & beam, other? If you would please, how about posting some pictures and comments in the future of your shop build. I think we would all be interested in seeing that.

By the way, if you don't have it already, you might want to pick up a copy of "America's Best Home Workshops - 2010" by Wood magazine. It may still be on the magazine stands or in a book store magazine section. The thing I liked about it was not just the good ideas to take away, but the 14 or 15 shop owners commented on what they would have done differently in hind site. Thanks Aaron.

Well guys I decided on a steel building kit, I'll post some photos when the construction starts. @ vic as I looked in to the building kits I found that I really had two choices in the height of the side wall 12' or 14', I spoke with a rep from one of the mfgs today, he told me that the size that I'm wanting being 40' limits me on the sidewall sizes.

Well guys I decided on a steel building kit, I'll post some photos when the construction starts. @ vic as I looked in to the building kits I found that I really had two choices in the height of the side wall 12' or 14', I spoke with a rep from one of the mfgs today, he told me that the size that I'm wanting being 40' limits me on the sidewall sizes.

Interesting. But, sounds efficient for the manufacturer. Be sure to include and "get advise" from your code official as you go. They appreciate being in the loop AND that you show you value their opinion. Remember "Arguing with a code enforcement officer is like wrestling a pig. After a while, you realize the pig likes it." Keep that in mind and the build will go off without a hitch.

I have a 26x42 shop with an attic and it is perfect for me,as long as someone doesn't think it is made for parking cars in! I built mine with traditional construction, my father in law had a pole barn style and I would much rather have mine. Not only would his be more difficult and costly to insulate but sheathing and everything else as well. Many people are happy with each style so it is a preference.

Nate

Remember "Arguing with a code enforcement officer is like wrestling a pig. After a while, you realize the pig likes it."

LMAO - I'm going to print that and hang it in my office, or maybe i should include that in our site specific safety manuals :lol:

I like the metal buildings. You can easily hang a jib crane or other items to the columns that standard walls would not support.

LMAO - I'm going to print that and hang it in my office, or maybe i should include that in our site specific safety manuals :lol:

I like the metal buildings. You can easily hang a jib crane or other items to the columns that standard walls would not support.

Ha! You must be a code official. General building or electrical? It's good to have someone who knows stuff here!

My shop is 48' X 26', big enough for my tools and the material storage. It has good and not so good points. If I were to design a new shop, it would be the same size because my tools need to be somewhat mobile. I think designing a shop for just cabinet making, with one or two persons working in it, would be more in the Golden Rectangle proportions of 1.61 to 1. About 32' x 20' would be a good size to start with.

Ha! You must be a code official. General building or electrical? It's good to have someone who knows stuff here!

I fabricate and install steel for commercial and industrial construction. Nearly all of our steel is inspected after it is installed. Most of the inspectors are pretty nice, every once in a while you find the "pig".

I fabricate and install steel for commercial and industrial construction. Nearly all of our steel is inspected after it is installed. Most of the inspectors are pretty nice, every once in a while you find the "pig".

LOL...True. Most are great. I used some 5/8 exterior grade ply for my walls that had been the sub-floor in an old Woolworths. A buddy of mine had been on the deconstruction crew. He told be to fill all the nail holes! He no longer works for the county. Evidently, he ticked off someone who knew someone. :o)

Well I'm probably going to start on it after the new year, Looks like I'm going to be "hanging some iron". I'm going to get some buddys that owe me and their going to help me have a barn raising. It should be interesting to see how it goes. Its been a couple of years sence we built the finishing shop at work, these kits go together like a big erector set. I'll dust off my hard hat, safety harness and my spud wrenches, to save about $8000.00

Its $9000.00 including all the doors, gutters and downspouts. Almost as mutch to get it installed as it is for the kit.

Aaron, thank you for being so patient with all of our questions. If you would please, what is the name of the company (URL?), that is supplying your steel building kit? Or, are they local only, or can they ship kits within the 48 contiguous states? Thanks much Aaron.