More Power!

Torch02

In the house we are going to be renting in Germany, the garage has a 340V outlet!

I knew that Europe runs on 220V/50Hz, but I didn't even know 340V existed.

My question - what kind of 340V tools exist? What tools would benefit from 340V vs. 220V?

That will be a three phase outlet I'd imagine. While America uses 110V 'mains' or single phase, and 220V three phase, Europe (roughly speaking) uses 220V single phase and 340 380V three phase. The UK uses 240V single phase and 380 415V three phase, but these are close enough (10%) to make little or no difference.

John

(Corrected because Terry's little finger probably knows more about electricity than I do)

Yes Europe has been "harmonized" to 230volts 50 hertz. In reality the generating stations have not changed their outputs in Europe from 220volts and UK at 240volts. It's just a label change. The actual tolerence in the UK  -6% to +10% - so as long as the voltage is somewhere in that range all is good.

The actual 3 phase higher voltage standard in the UK is 415V which gives 230V across phases with varying amperages (100 to 300A) dependent upon your requirements. Put it this way if you are pulling 300 amps from 415V I wouldn't like your electricity bill! :).

But the 340 volt in Germany is a new one on me. I don't know of any domestic equipment that runs on 340V 3 phase or single phase. Essentially you will be ok connecting most hobby rated equipment into a single phase 230 volt outlet. If you need more current you would have to engage an electrician to install a 16amp or  32 amp 230V single phase socket (blue in colour). Most single phase trade rated equipment runs at higher wattage hence high current but still at 230 volts.

3 phase sockets usually have 4 or 5 pins and, for 415 volt, are coloured a browny red colour. 

Industrial rated equipment usually runs 3 phase 230 volts or 415 volts. In which case a 3 phase supply is required.

Have a look at where the power comes into the house. If there are 3 or 4 incoming cables before the meter then the house has a 3 phase capability. If just one big cable then it is single phase only.

• Like 1

WTF are you talking about, Terry? I'm pretty sure it had something to do with electricity and Europeans.

LOL  :D

I worked for a manufacturer of electrical turbine generating sets for power stations many years ago and guess I had my electrical head on.

What I meant to say is 340volts? - dunno.

• Like 1