Woodglue and Painted Surfaces

How does woodglue hold on painted surfaces?

I'm wrapping up a trash can/recycle-bin cabinet for my kitchen. The carcase/drawers are painted white but the top is 6/4 maple that I'm still debating the finish on. I'd like to put some un-painted half-round around the bottom of the carcase as an accent but didn't realize it until the paint was there. Will woodglue and clamps hold the halfround in place well enough for a piece of furniture that will probably be beat up pretty well? Do I need brads/finish nails? I'd prefer to not put a bunch of holes in the half-round if there is something out there that will hold it in place.

I've used Titebond III on paint and had mixed results, mostly failures. If you scuff up the paint well enough, you might get a bond to it. I would mask the area other than where I wanted the half round and REALLY go to work on the paint, even scrape the paint off. That's a lot of trouble though. I ended up using glue with brads and finish nails.

Good luck!

I go with iSawitFirst cutting right back to the original surface is the only sure way to get a hold unless you pin it. If there is still time (either it is not assembled yet or you can easily dis-assemble it. It would be a good idea to run a groove around the face and then run a tongue around the back of the half round stuff, if you're making your own that is. You will have a very solid joint once glued up. If you've bought the half round already of course, this is not an option.

Pete