Outdoor Torsion Box?

daninhim

Hey all,

I have a very small (12x14) shop, which means breaking down 4x8 sheet goods on sawhorses in the driveway. Man, I hate having to do that. However one nice thing I have is a set of double doors leading from the shop to the underside of an 8' high deck. I'm considering putting a gutter system under the deck to keep the space below dry, and building a large torsion box-style workbench that would reside outside under the deck, giving me a great place for cutting plywood or assembling things outside the shop. Realistically it would likely become an all-purpose "dumping ground" for outdoor projects as well. So I want to make something tough. That would withstand the oddball weather of Pittsburgh, PA, to winters, and it's humid summers. Any construction suggestions or ideas you could share would be great!

post-2926-0-16332600-1344629272_thumb.jp
post-2926-0-06047000-1344629275_thumb.jp
Here is what I use for breaking down sheet goods a knock down grid setting on saw horses, you have support both ways ripping, or cross cutting. set up only takes a minute the grid gives you unlimited space for clamping straight edges for saw guides it's stable, and easily made with a skil saw, and chisel I gang all similar pieces together and layout and, cut all at once. 

• Like 2

When I say " torsion box" I suppose I should just say "solid, level, quasi-permanent work surface". I want to use it not only for cutting sheets but also for assembly and other projects. I would not be knocking it down after use (although I really like your knockdown design...consider that option 2). I'd like to be fairly solid and effectively as smooth and level as a typical bench top surrounding a table saw.

post-2926-0-77478100-1344629275_thumb.jp

Nope 4x8' I use it for a portable bench all the time by adding a sheet of OSB, or for a assembly table/finishing table. I probably use it in one form or another on every project I make for me it's very versatile I even use it as a portable router table when I do a job away from home. 

Nice idea, I do something similar but with limited space, here's what I use!  Notched 2x8's that drop in notches on my saw horse's. The 2x's are kept inside, and stay relatively straight and flat, and accept bar clamps when necessary, and is used frequently as an assembly table, with the addition of a piece of ply!

post-15288-0-21919600-1404423584_thumb.j

post-15288-0-87334000-1404423612_thumb.j

post-15288-0-42150600-1404423637_thumb.j