Jet 16-32 sander

woodhack

i dont have one but hear they are a great machine, better than the delta version. i know you have to adjust it just right so you dont get a ridge in the center of a wide board or panel.

Does anyone have any info on the Jet 16-32 inch sander. It's on sale for $800. Does anybody have any good or bad experiences with this particular model? Thanks in advance.

I have an older model and it works really well. I spotted that sale, too, and thought it was a great price for that unit. Used ones around here seem to go for $500 or even $600 (granted, they typically have more abrasive rolls). You'll like it. The moving table Delta has would drive me nuts, I think. The newer models have SmartSand; it monitors the current to slow the feed rate if you are driving it too hard. A popped breaker mid board sucks (think deep burn).

It has a learning curve so plan an afternoon tinkering.

I've got the Performax 16-32. Basically the same sander. It's a great sander, but like Paul says, you can't be greedy with the cut or it will pop breakers. Keep in mind you'll want to buy (or make) infeed/outfeed tables if you plan on using it for anything much longer than a couple feet.

I've got the Performax 16-32. Basically the same sander. It's a great sander, but like Paul says, you can't be greedy with the cut or it will pop breakers. Keep in mind you'll want to buy (or make) infeed/outfeed tables if you plan on using it for anything much longer than a couple feet.

Do you have an older Performax with just a 2.5" dust port on the top lid? The larger 4" port that appeared late in the Performax line makes a huge difference in burn with all the additional airflow cooling things down. You can order a replacement top cover for, I believe, $16 from Jet. I did that for my older one (yeah, I have 2, yeah, long story).

Does anyone have any info on the Jet 16-32 inch sander. It's on sale for $800. Does anybody have any good or bad experiences with this particular model? Thanks in advance.

I just picked one up two days ago. I'm going give it the ultimate test today of running almost 1000' of base and casing through it. I'll let you know how things turn out.

I have the older version of this one, Performax, and it works like a dream. I had the Delta version for a little while and sold it,

very nit-picky adjustments on the table, but ran fair after you get it set. I'm with Paul on the dust port, you have to have a 4", mine came with one and it really makes all the difference.

I have the older version of this one, Performax, and it works like a dream. I had the Delta version for a little while and sold it,

very nit-picky adjustments on the table, but ran fair after you get it set. I'm with Paul on the dust port, you have to have a 4", mine came with one and it really makes all the difference.

Yes, I have the Delta and it was a pain to get dead level. The biggest thing I don't like about it is the fact that the table is adjustable, instead of the drum head. When I've had to run long boards, you're constantly having to move the infeed and outfeed.

Yes, I have the Delta and it was a pain to get dead level. The biggest thing I don't like about it is the fact that the table is adjustable, instead of the drum head. When I've had to run long boards, you're constantly having to move the infeed and outfeed.

I totally forgot about that, very good point. The Jet/Performax have a fixed table height and I think that you can even buy

accessory table for them as well.

I totally forgot about that, very good point. The Jet/Performax have a fixed table height and I think that you can even buy

accessory table for them as well.

I've since fired my purchasing manager for buying badly engineered tools.

Do you have an older Performax with just a 2.5" dust port on the top lid? The larger 4" port that appeared late in the Performax line makes a huge difference in burn with all the additional airflow cooling things down. You can order a replacement top cover for, I believe, $16 from Jet. I did that for my older one (yeah, I have 2, yeah, long story).

I do, and thank you kindly sir, I'll be calling on Monday. :D

Did you put a spacer block in there but still have problems?

I had great luck using a bunch of MDF/Melamine scraps. Raise the drum as high as it will go and stack MDF on the belt until you are close to the drum. Loosen the bolts etc and lay the drum flat on the MDF. Tighten everything up. I did it as high as possible when I did mine mostly to see if there was an error in lowering it (so I could correct it), but there luckily wasn't an error after lowering it. If I had one, I'd try figuring out what's bent. Worse case, only stack the MDF as high as your typical stock thickness and use it as a spacer instead. If after removing the MDF you get a sag of, say, 1/16", put a 1/16" additional spacer on the far end when you calibrate it again. Seems like that would work. In my case, the first big stack of MDF worked great.

Did you put a spacer block in there but still have problems?

I had great luck using a bunch of MDF/Melamine scraps. Raise the drum as high as it will go and stack MDF on the belt until you are close to the drum. Loosen the bolts etc and lay the drum flat on the MDF. Tighten everything up. I did it as high as possible when I did mine mostly to see if there was an error in lowering it (so I could correct it), but there luckily wasn't an error after lowering it. If I had one, I'd try figuring out what's bent. Worse case, only stack the MDF as high as your typical stock thickness and use it as a spacer instead. If after removing the MDF you get a sag of, say, 1/16", put a 1/16" additional spacer on the far end when you calibrate it again. Seems like that would work. In my case, the first big stack of MDF worked great.

Nice strategy for setting the drum, Paul-Marcel. I'll have to try it once I assemble mine.

I have the Dela and not sure what Vic is saying about the in-feed and out-feed thing? <_<

But I think with any sanders of this nature have quirks and need to be adjusted from time to time, but hell the job these sanders do, is simply well worth an adjustment here or there. Once you get the feel for the machine, adjustments are quick. I love my Delta :) Remember they are sanders so go easy with them.

I purchased my sander from a guy on Craigslist. I asked him to run the sander for me to make sure everything worked...hell he takes a hunk of hickory has the table speed almost on high and slams this thing in and almost locked up the drum...sheesh...and quickly lowered the table. I just figured he was nervous cause some stranger invaded his work shop. :blink: (that be me) He said he never use it much and couldn't get the thing to sand good. Got it home and all the adjusting bolts were rounded over and everything was way out of adjustment. New bolts....a solid afternoon and good as gold.

-Ace-

I have the Dela and not sure what Vic is saying about the in-feed and out-feed thing? <_<

But I think with any sanders of this nature have quirks and need to be adjusted from time to time, but hell the job these sanders do, is simply well worth an adjustment here or there. Once you get the feel for the machine, adjustments are quick. I love my Delta :) Remember they are sanders so go easy with them.

I purchased my sander from a guy on Craigslist. I asked him to run the sander for me to make sure everything worked...hell he takes a hunk of hickory has the table speed almost on high and slams this thing in and almost locked up the drum...sheesh...and quickly lowered the table. I just figured he was nervous cause some stranger invaded his work shop. :blink: (that be me) He said he never use it much and couldn't get the thing to sand good. Got it home and all the adjusting bolts were rounded over and everything was way out of adjustment. New bolts....a solid afternoon and good as gold.

-Ace-

I think Vic had the same problem I did, if you were running long pieces through an had supports in front of and behind, to catch, then you had to re-adjust them every time you changed your depth adjustment, because the table moves and not the drum head, like on the Jet/Performax.

I owned the Delta for awhile and it did a good job, was a little quirky to set up, but the main reason why I traded up was for more ease of use in the extra support category and that I could mount it on a home made stand with storage easily, tough to do with the Delta b/c of the motor.

It is funny you mention the "technique" this fellow used on the machine. I purchased both of my machines used, I have a Performax 16-32 now, and both of the guy's I purchased from did the same thing as your guy. I guess they didn't understand that it was a sander and not a planer.

Cheers

Thanks Oldgrowth...got it.

I understand now, I work around that by keeping down pressure on the wood to the table as you just begin the feed in, as well as, when the piece exits the sander.

I do get some snipe at times if I ask my machine to work outside of its designed 18" Say If I'm running a smallish coffee table top wider than 18" Can't help it because the weight of the wood at exit applies pressure under the drum and is impossible to support with your hands, thus causing the snipe, just like a power wood planer does. So some sort of in-feed out-feed bed would be helpful. Got it!

I do glue up larger and trim any snipe so I really haven't had an issue of the in-feed out-feed thing. My sander is 18x36 it works just fine and dead flat if I can just keep the width of the wood within the 18" of the drum :)

-Ace-

I have the Jet 16-32 and have never been able to get the drum parallel to the base. I've only been able to get it to within 1/16". Any tips on how to dial it in?

I have mine within +/- .002 from one end to the other. I can't recall which website had the setup procedure I used to give proper credit.

The strategy that worked best for me was to put your granite plate on the table where you were able to look at daylight between the plate and the drum, lower the drum(w/sand paper removed) until you had a hairline crack, and align by sight for parallel.

It does take some fiddling to get it right, so expect to be patient.

I have mine within +/- .002 from one end to the other. I can't recall which website had the setup procedure I used to give proper credit.

The strategy that worked best for me was to put your granite plate on the table where you were able to look at daylight between the plate and the drum, lower the drum(w/sand paper removed) until you had a hairline crack, and align by sight for parallel.

It does take some fiddling to get it right, so expect to be patient.

I did a similar setup procedure but the problem was when I tightened the adjustment bolt. It would cause the drum to move just slightly. Not very well designed IMHO.