Desk . . .too ambitious?

So, I have been wanting to build a desk for some time. I am moving into a new home and will have a large office that will accomodate what I have always wanted. Last week I started looking through books and found a picture of a mechanical desk from the 18th century. I asked myself, "Why can't I build something like that, but with a modern application?" So I sat down at the computer, started SketchUp and started drawing away. This is my first hack at this, but I expect to have a few iterations if this goes any further.

I want to build it modularly, so it can be moved easily. I think there would be three main components (pedestals), the top, plus other smaller pieces. The top I want to have leather inlaid. I have never done it. I think that I could do it, but have no idea what I am getting into.

If you look at the pictures, imagine that the left and right pedestals are built square with the rounded portion as a false backing, more for decoration. I would attach these to the middle pedestal with some kind of hardware.

The middle pedestal/computer housing would be the big challenge. I would need two motors to turn gears to move the computer housing up and down. I am afraid that this would have to be absolutely perfect or the piece would bind during movement. I am not sure how to ensure that the motors start, move, and stop simultaneously. I know very little about electric motors. I imagine that there could be pressure switches once it reaches the top that would cause the motors to stop. I have it sized perfectly to house my Sony all-in-one computer. Once I got a new computer, I am sure I would have to modify it. But I think everyone has lcd displays and modifiying for a traditional computer/lcd wouldn't be that difficult. The bottom of the middle pedestal would have all of the wires and power. I would ensure the side that would be by your feet would be easily removable to access the wires, etc. Also, when the false front for the keyboard tray is dropped down, it would flip the switch to start the motors and move the computer housing up. When it was closed, the opposite would occur. Again, I am not electrically inclined, so I would have to do a lot of research to figure this one out.

I haven't thought about what I would build it out of. If I continue on this, I may ask for ideas.

I think I may be a little overzealous with this one. Let me know what you think, or what I am missing. If this goes further, I won't be able to start until the end of next summer. So, I have lots of time to play with the idea. Again, it is my first hack, so keep that in mind. With that said, hack away at what it is.

Thanks!

Trevor

post-2242-0-51456200-1288489163_thumb.jp

post-2242-0-53948700-1288489172_thumb.jp

post-2242-0-25868800-1288489180_thumb.jp

post-2242-0-57855800-1288489193_thumb.jp

post-2242-0-60296200-1288489254_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I'm pretty electrically and mechanically inclined, but if I were doing this I'd consider buying the lift mechanism.

If you Google for "lcd lift" you will find lots of info.

If you do it yourself, I'd recommend a scissor lift in the center, rather than trying to coordinate two lifts on each side. You can still have the panel ride in side tracks as guides.

It looks like a fun project!

Wow, I am impressed. I am a fan of nice desks and this is a stunner.

I tip my hat to you. Go for it. For a project this challenging I would recommend that you take the next year planning as you intend to do. A few full size mock ups in cheap wook to see how it all works together should help you work out some of the design challenges. I remember Marc's original of his gamer station changed after he saw in real life what it looked like.

If you have the time, and are willing to learn as you go, then there really isn't a project that's too ambitious. I like the ideas you have there. Have you given thought to material and construction process? Especially for the rounded sides?

I agree with Beechwood on the LCD lift. That part will actually be the least of your worries.

Gotta say, from my standpoint, not only is this desk possible, it's worth the effort. Go for it.

Let us know if you need help along the way

Nice looking desk...

...The middle pedestal/computer housing would be the big challenge...

...I have it sized perfectly to house my Sony all-in-one computer. Once I got a new computer, I am sure I would have to modify it...

I think you're putting a lot of effort into creating something that hides the LCD screen. Perhaps too much effort - if you switch to a laptop instead of desktop, or all in one, it would go in the drawer.

If you're a Sony man, there are some very big screen Sony Vaio's around nowadays.

John

Here's how I see it. I don't believe any project is too big for anyone. Large builds are nothing more than a bunch of small builds layed out in the correct order. I'd take that very awesome sketch-up you have and break it down into smaller section, then again, and again, and again. The scissor lift is the only way to roll for the LDC lift. They have a much smaller footprint than say a actuator style.

Good luck and post some pics.

Here's how I see it. I don't believe any project is too big for anyone. Large builds are nothing more than a bunch of small builds layed out in the correct order. I'd take that very awesome sketch-up you have and break it down into smaller section, then again, and again, and again. The scissor lift is the only way to roll for the LDC lift. They have a much smaller footprint than say a actuator style.

Good luck and post some pics.

I totally agree with Ben. no matter how complex once you break it down into easy bite chunks, you could eat a whole cow! You obviously have a hell of lot more skill with sketchup than me. but, then I've hardly used it yet. I agree about the lift mechanism though. Go for something you only have to fit and not worry about stuff that is too techie. That's fine if you're that way inclined and have the time to work it all out. You'll have enough to do figuring the construction problems you will meet in getting the project to finish. Looks a really impressive piece to go for. Me, I see this in lovely silky Maple with your beautiful dark American Walnut for the accents. Go for it but, make damn sure you let us see the results.

Pete

It looks like a beautiful desk and well worth the effort. I have a couple of design considerations to add...

Don't know about you, but I find that the distance and angle of the screen are critical for comfortable work. Your design has the screen a fixed distance from the front edge and vertical. I'd allow some tilt to the screen and make sure the distance to the front of the desk is comfortable.

Your desk top seems to have 4 sections (including the top of the lift). Did you consider mounting the monitor/computer face down on the underside of the center-front panel (the one in front of the lift) and pivoting that panel along its back edge. Attach a false center drawer front to the part that lifts. Kind of makes the center section of your desk into a super sized notebook computer. The keyboard, mouse and any other accessories would live under the desktop when not in use.

Looking at the curved front, I assume you are planning on placing the desk in the center of the room, not against a wall. I would make the center pedestal with a door that opened to the front. This would create an easily accessable compartment for a tower computer. Include adequate venting to keep it cool.

Wow. Thanks for the responses! I am definitely going to take some of these suggestions and run with it.

@ Beechwood Chip - The lcd lift is a definite! I never knew that was an option, but really makes my design much more simple.

@ adamking - I've never made furniture that wasn't square all the way around. Any advice that you want to send my way, I will take! Again, it will be the end of next summer before I can start (I have an extended trip coming my way).

@ The Wood Servant - I haven't thought about material, but the maple/walnut suggestion gave me a mental picture that I can't get rid of. I am really intrigued. I think I will start finishing some scraps to get a good idea of what I want.

@ Ben S - As soon as I read your posts, I found I would only have 3/4" above the top of my computer to reach behind and turn it on! With the lcd lift and the button/ports on the computer, I will be redesigning the lift pedestal.

If anybody has a link to a scissor lift that isn't 4' in movement, that would be a big help. Everything I find is 4' to 10'. All the ones I saw that moved 24ish inches were actuator types. I will certainly keep everyone updated with all the iterations of the design process, mock ups, etc. Keep in mind, my trip will put everything on hold for a number of months. Bear with me . . .

Thanks again for all the advice!

Trevor

Wow. Thanks for the responses! I am definitely going to take some of these suggestions and run with it.

@ Beechwood Chip - The lcd lift is a definite! I never knew that was an option, but really makes my design much more simple.

@ adamking - I've never made furniture that wasn't square all the way around. Any advice that you want to send my way, I will take! Again, it will be the end of next summer before I can start (I have an extended trip coming my way).

@ The Wood Servant - I haven't thought about material, but the maple/walnut suggestion gave me a mental picture that I can't get rid of. I am really intrigued. I think I will start finishing some scraps to get a good idea of what I want.

@ Ben S - As soon as I read your posts, I found I would only have 3/4" above the top of my computer to reach behind and turn it on! With the lcd lift and the button/ports on the computer, I will be redesigning the lift pedestal.

If anybody has a link to a scissor lift that isn't 4' in movement, that would be a big help. Everything I find is 4' to 10'. All the ones I saw that moved 24ish inches were actuator types. I will certainly keep everyone updated with all the iterations of the design process, mock ups, etc. Keep in mind, my trip will put everything on hold for a number of months. Bear with me . . .

Thanks again for all the advice!

Trevor

Trevor...check out bending ply or wiggle board for your panel corners. You may want to seriously look at a vacuum press.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking about lifts, because I'm thinking of building a desk with adjustable height. Have you considered just having a cable over a pulley just below the desk top with counterweight on either side? You should be able to get 24" of raise height and keep the mechanism totally under the desk. If you weight it a bit heavy, it would glide up when you released a catch, and take a small amount of pressure to push it back down.

I'm not sure you can get 24" out of them, but the jack bench (google it) uses a jack from a GM SUV or pickup truck. Pay attention to his caution about how the scissor jack moves.

Finally, you can use an acme screw, or even a length of all thread, a captured nut and a beefy stepper motor, but you will need a couple of guides also. That would be much more complex arrangement. You could even combine a counterweight with the screw idea for a motorized lift without as big of a motor.

Rockler has grommets and brass accent vents that would go well on this type of project (based solely on the SketchUp images.)

I'd say the bases are one assembly each, the sides another one each, the back is one assembly that fits into pre-planned holes, and both the sides and the back have additional venting and wiring access planned in. I'd look into the USB 4 port adapters, and "permanently" mount one in either a false-front drawer, or along the front of the monitor bay so it's accessible when up but hidden when not in use.

While it's kewl to have an automated motion for the monitor when you open or close the keyboard tray / compartment, I'd consider manually pushing an open/close button. That way you can step away from the desk for a moment and close the monitor section if you plan on being gone for a bit (popcorn break?) but are not done with your work on the computer.

I'm reminded of a battleship desk I had once, nowhere near as nice as this project, that was nearly six feet long. It had four major sections: the one piece top (basic laminated el-cheapo wood), the file cabinet drawer side (two drawers), the "other" drawer side (three drawers) and the center section. Each drawer side had four legs under it instead of the bases, so plenty of stuff could clutter underneath it. They also had pull out writing surfaces, basically single planks of solid wood, and I don't remember if they were 1/2" or 3/4". The center section was little more than a front fascia that the drawer slid into, a back piece (that acted simultaneously as support for the top, something to hide the back of the drawer, and something to align the two sides so the desk would not shift), and the front drawer. It was maybe 2 1/2" deep on the inside, maybe 1/4" wide sides, roughly two feet wide by eighteen inches deep, and activated the drawer locks by a very simple mechanism.

Each side had the mechanical drawer locks, not the key version. This was basically a 1 x 1 in the back of each drawer base, using some of the extra space that was behind each drawer. Pull the front drawer out, and you could access any drawer. Push it in, and the drawers wouldn't open.

If you are serious about the leather inlay, go to a local leather supply company and ask them about how to build it. I'd imagine it would be a frame and panel design, with the panel being something like a one / two ounce or three / 4 ounce leather tacked to a sheet of 1/4" plywood, but I'm not positive. My preferred vendor for leather is Tandy Leather Factory for several reasons, not the least of which is that the local store is within 2 miles of my house. ( http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/ )