Ring Box

DannyBoy

Well guys.....I popped the question last night (and she said yes)! It was extremely nerve racking as you know if you have gone through this, but thankfully making this box took my mind off the situation. I made about 8 different boxes before this one...my OCD was off the charts experimenting with different designs, joinery, and wood...then finally decided on walnut with hard maple splines and sycamore for the top. I ripped the guts out of a ring box (from china) that the jewler gave me and it worked nicely. The lid stays on with magnets that are hidden with matching plugs. I showed the jewler and he is interested in ordering some, so we'll see where it goes!

post-667-0-63728300-1288546283_thumb.jpg

post-667-0-19156900-1288546297_thumb.jpg

post-667-0-14774200-1288546305_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys... Monday morning and champagne is still flowing through my veins. :blink:

Ain't it great?!? Congratulations! We lost another one, but obviously she's worth it (but get that 16" jointer/planer before "the day" so you don't have to ask permission!!!) j/k... bachelor humor...

Congrats!!

I had a question about the box, you said the lid was held on with magnents but we covered by plugs?

Are they pretty stong magnents? is the lid held pretty well?

I have a small jewelryl box i am making and i wanted to keep the doors closed with the magnents but i figured i would have to keep them exposed but with the covering them idea i am worried they might not be stong enough. I bought mine from menards so i doubt if they are high quality. How much attraction do you think you lost from putting a plug over them?

Congrats!!

I had a question about the box, you said the lid was held on with magnents but we covered by plugs?

Are they pretty stong magnents? is the lid held pretty well?

I have a small jewelryl box i am making and i wanted to keep the doors closed with the magnents but i figured i would have to keep them exposed but with the covering them idea i am worried they might not be stong enough. I bought mine from menards so i doubt if they are high quality. How much attraction do you think you lost from putting a plug over them?

Hey Tinkerer...I used a 1/4" rare-earth magnet in each corner about 1/32" recessed. The plugs have absolutely no effect (or very little) on the magnetic field. I suppose you could say it is a veneer over the magnets because the "plug" is so thin. I drilled one hole at a time in each corner of the box and used a dowel center finder to mark the spot for the lid. Then some 5 minute epoxy, a flush cut saw, followed by a card scraper to clean it up. You can turn the box over, shake it, and the lid stays on. When you put the lid back on, you can feel the magnets pull it out of your hand!

These are the magnets I used... http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32065&cat=1,42363,42348

• Like 1

Hey Tinkerer...I used a 1/4" rare-earth magnet in each corner about 1/32" recessed. The plugs have absolutely no effect (or very little) on the magnetic field. I suppose you could say it is a veneer over the magnets because the "plug" is so thin. I drilled one hole at a time in each corner of the box and used a dowel center finder to mark the spot for the lid. Then some 5 minute epoxy, a flush cut saw, followed by a card scraper to clean it up. You can turn the box over, shake it, and the lid stays on. When you put the lid back on, you can feel the magnets pull it out of your hand!

These are the magnets I used... http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32065&cat=1,42363,42348

thanks for the link.

Ok so you used a dowel to fill the hole after the magnet was put in?

I might try this on my box, thanks