Couple More Cutting Boards

..Kev

Yes.. Before I had the drum sander, I used a domino to keep things aligned. A biscuit jointer would work as well..

Just saw this. I am kinda confused...

What did they keep aligned? Each and every piece? Or once you glued up and then cut the board in half'ish to input a design in?

Just confused on how this ties into not having a drum sander ...

Just saw this. I am kinda confused...

What did they keep aligned? Each and every piece? Or once you glued up and then cut the board in half'ish to input a design in?

Just confused on how this ties into not having a drum sander ...

By keeping the pieces aligned during glue up, you cut down on the amount of sanding to be done.  With the drum sander, I'm not nearly as worried about the sanding as I was when all I had was the RO sander.

That drill press looks pretty awesome...never saw one with a digital readout before

Looks like one of the newer PMs to me..

There was a few questions about the process so, here's what I do to make these..

Starting with a board glued up and ready to go.  Create thin strips of wood you wish to use for the stripe.  I created a layout jig that I use but, just about any large sweeping curves will work well.

npLCxp.jpg

Cut the piece - I get a clean enough cut to go to glue up but, you could use the template to flush trim.

fPXExU.jpg

Glue it all up..

40ragp.jpg

More clamps the better..

JReYpQ.jpg

Once out of clamps, trim to size, round corners, sand, finish, etc...

• Like 2

Well, unfortunately, I didn't grab any finished shots of the ones I was making.  They're all wrapped up for Christmas..  Sorry about that.

Yes..  As many times as you want to cut and glue up again..  You can do pretty much what ever you'd like. 

Well, unfortunately, I didn't grab any finished shots of the ones I was making. They're all wrapped up for Christmas.. Sorry about that.

Yes.. As many times as you want to cut and glue up again.. You can do pretty much what ever you'd like.

Well that's a shame. They were super nice! Any plans in the future to make some more or are you done for the year?