Getting Started - Need Guidance

Illini40

I get what little sheet goods I use from home centers, I know it costs a little more but I like that I can get 1/4 birch ply in 2'x4' sheets.  I have also bought some poplar and oak but I have this thing for walnut and maple ... plus once I discovered a real hardwood store, not only were the prices and selection better but it's like a whole new world opened up.  home center isn't bad it's just limited and, for most things, more expensive.

That is so strange your local home depot doesn't carry alder ,black walnut ,hard maple ,and African mahogany as well as red oak and poplar ? I don't often dabble in it due to the price and we have an awesome lumberyard 20 minutes away but the neat thing is if your local sources are bad you could get the s4s I mentioned above shipped to your store for free. Project packs at bellforestproducts.com with the wood whisperer code is a good deal as well.

Call a local custom cabinet shop and ask where you can buy hardwood. They should be able to point you in the right direction . Maybe they will sell you a couple of boards or add your needs to their next order. Just remember to do everything you can to work within their time frames since it's more of a curtesy than a profitable activity for them.

My local HD and Lowes do not carry any of those.  Poplar is as far as they go

it's overpriced anyways . A handy resource but it's around 10 dollars a board foot if you do the math from their linear foot measurements. I finally linked up with two local woodworking shops and the resources have been absolutely invaluable I highly suggest it !

it's overpriced anyways . A handy resource but it's around 10 dollars a board foot if you do the math from their linear foot measurements. I finally linked up with two local woodworking shops and the resources have been absolutely invaluable I highly suggest it !

Completely agree..  I rarely buy any lumber from the big box stores..  If I do it's cause something I don't care about..

I discovered that both Menards and Lowes in SE Ohio carry poplar as hardwood (pricey) and dimension lumber. The dimension lumber is much cheaper but you have to purchase it as 1*4 in standard lengths. A few cheap pipe clamps and your good to go.

The Menards near me does way better than what everyone is describing in this thread.   They have red oak 1x S4S boards for just over $5 per bd ft (giving credit for full inch thickness since it's S4S already).   Poplar is just under $3.90 per bd ft.   They also have Soft Maple (~$7 per bd ft), Mahogany (~$6.15 per bd ft), Hickory (~$6.20 per bd ft), and Aspen (~4.20 per bd ft).    They don't have tons of it in all of those, but to pick up a few boards (kinda like a small project pack from Bell Forest) it's available and there.

For reference, Menards Red Oak 1x4 boards work out to $1.77 per linear foot...the local hardwood dealer sells S4S Red Oak 1x4 for $1.97 per linear foot or $1.79 if you but at least 13 linear feet.    For Poplar 1x4, Menards works out to $1.29 per linear foot...the local hardwood place is $1.42 per linear foot or $1.29 if you buy at least 13.   So for me without a jointer or a planer, Menards is basically just as good as the hardwood place.  I still tend to shop at the hardwood place because they have a bigger selection and it's probably better overall quality, but it has absolutely nothing to do with price.

The Menards near me does way better than what everyone is describing in this thread.   They have red oak 1x S4S boards for just over $5 per bd ft (giving credit for full inch thickness since it's S4S already).   Poplar is just under $3.90 per bd ft.   They also have Soft Maple (~$7 per bd ft), Mahogany (~$6.15 per bd ft), Hickory (~$6.20 per bd ft), and Aspen (~4.20 per bd ft).    They don't have tons of it in all of those, but to pick up a few boards (kinda like a small project pack from Bell Forest) it's available and there.

For reference, Menards Red Oak 1x4 boards work out to $1.77 per linear foot...the local hardwood dealer sells S4S Red Oak 1x4 for $1.97 per linear foot or $1.79 if you but at least 13 linear feet.    For Poplar 1x4, Menards works out to $1.29 per linear foot...the local hardwood place is $1.42 per linear foot or $1.29 if you buy at least 13.   So for me without a jointer or a planer, Menards is basically just as good as the hardwood place.  I still tend to shop at the hardwood place because they have a bigger selection and it's probably better overall quality, but it has absolutely nothing to do with price.

Are all of these hardwoods that you referenced from Menards the individually shrink wrapped boards?

I stopped in a Menards yesterday, and if I'm following what I saw, all hardwoods were individually wrapped. My head is still spinning with how to get started.

I found that there is a hardwood dealer somewhat close to me.

Could someone take a look at their current price list posted to their site and let me know if they seem reasonable? I'm going to contact them to see what type of markup/charge is applied for S4S. I need S4S since I'm lacking tools to mill on my own.

http://www.thehardwoodconnection.com/hardwoodlumber.html

My advice is to buy a stick or two of some wood you have never used before, and just try to make something with it. Maybe search the web for details about the chosen species, just to keep from making a really irreversible mistake. But honestly, half the 'skill building' one does as a woodworker is learning how to repair / hide / make into a feature, all the mistakes.

• Like 1

Some of their prices look high and some look low.  You'll find that it's really relative to your location.  In the end, that's what it's going for in your area.

You'll probably also find that after you build a relationship with them, you'll get a little better price that when you just walked in the door.