A woodworking curse?

Bombarde16

In a rambling conversation with a friend who knits, it came out that something called a "sweater curse" is common knowledge among knitters.  In a nutshell, knitting a sweater for your significant other will cause a relationship to fail.  Wikipedia even has an article about the sweater curse and this describes plausible reasons why knitting a sweater for your boy/girlfriend would cause things to go south.  Among these are:

• Unlucky timing. Knitting a sweater takes a long time, and the relationship dies of natural causes during its making.
  • Catalyst for analyzing the relationship. Giving or receiving a significant gift such as a sweater may cause either the giver or receiver to evaluate the relationship.
  • Aversion. The significant other may simply not want to wear anything hand-knit. A hand-knit sweater can also subject them to ridicule, either because the sweater looks bad (i.e., poorly made or unfashionable) or conveys overly domestic connotations.
  • Misdirected attention. The knitter loves their sweater a little too much, and pesters the significant other about the sweater. Alternatively, the knitter loves to knit too much, and spends too much time with their knitting instead of with the significant other.
  • Insufficient gratitude. The knitter sees the sweater as a significant thing, having chosen the pattern and color carefully, and having invested hours of labor; the recipient sees it as just another sweater, and the resulting lack of gratitude leads to tension in the relationship.

It strikes me that many of the same things could be said about woodworking, particularly the bits about time and investment in a project.  Plausible?  Borne out by the experience of anyone in the forum?  If so, what gift was it that did things in?  Do we woodworkers face a "jewelry box curse"? An "end table curse"?  A "hollow turned vessel curse"?

Who knows, perhaps it's another knitting parallel for Marc, Matt & Shannon to explore on their next April Fools' show.

Any gift I give is the giftees. It leaves my hands and is no longer mine. If I give it, I am willing to lose it. I do not think that dooming a relationship is foregone. I have been married long enough to express and hear expression of thanks without equal valuation. I think this is more a barometer. She likes it, or she doesn't like and knows how to break that to me. That is why we don't fail. If we could not do those things, a gift like that could doom. But, that would indicate to me that the relationship was already doomed and the gift just sped it up. Wow, it must be late. That was incredibly wordy. G'night!

• Like 2