A place to hold my keys/wallet

bushwacked

Well my wife and I don't really have a place for the keys and wallets. I am tired of our kitchen table holding them. I finally got some shop time since my wife's parents are in town to visit and help with the baby.

Yes I know it's nothing special and with the masters on here this seems pretty childish and basic but it's my first project I have busted out. Took about a month to complete but actual working time was probably 3-4 hours.

1ce377636a630308cbafa74acb9d5ea1.jpg

Made from 8/4 soft maple. I used Marc's keepsake box build to help me clear out the wood in the middle with a Forstner bit on the drill press then a flush trim bit on a router to clean it up.

f1311d35ed30efcbbe2c2f26dfebcc4c.jpg

cb65a0ed398e8ce285e2cbfca050d74d.jpg

Then I decided it would be boring without some accent or something else to add to it. So I went with the a mahogany inlay. I was going to try TIODS cutting board look but I didn't want to ruin this with a cheap ryobi bandsaw so maybe once I get a real bandsaw I can cut through some 8/4 wood.

I am in the middle of finishing it with clear shelac. 2 coats on and 1-2 more coats to go.

For the first project I am happy with it even though I ran into some router issues I'm not sure why it did what it did. One day I'll find out I guess. Now not sure what will be next for me. With a 2 month old baby it makes it tough to take on big projects at the moment. Maybe by summer I will have more time to fiddle with bigger projects.

• Like 1

Looks cool bud! The wave would have looked cool too! Nice job!

Thanks! Yes it would of looked cool but just not sure my bandsaw would live through it. I'm not too far done I could always give it a go maybe if I can test it on some scrap wood that's 8/4. Do you think it would be worth it or will that be too many lines going around?

Since the stripe was inlayed, you could have went any shape you wanted with a router and a simple templet, or an x-acto with a razor and a gouge…

awesome effort

Mark

I will look into that Mark thanks for the options.

Thanks! There is still a lot of room for improvement on it but I guess for my first piece I can't be too picky just yet