Woodcraft 220v Dust Collector Remote Control

Robert Morse

Accessing the Start/Stop buttons on my dust collector in my garage is a bit of a challenge that requires opening my garage door.  So if I'm only doing a couple of cuts, I've developed a bad habit of not firing up the dust collector, which is bad for the lungs, makes a mess around the garage, and the inside of my saw... 

I started out by ordering the Jet version of this dust collector remote from a seller on Ebay - I have a jet DC, so should have a matching remote, right?  Well, even though it was listed as New, it showed up with a broken case, so after a 3 week return process, which ended with the seller not having any other stock, I started looking again for a remote solution.

I found this dust collector on Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/145476/WoodRiver-220-Volt-Dust-Collector-Remote-Control-Switch.aspx), I ordered it, and it showed up very quickly. No complaints with the packaging or delivery.  I should also note, the woodcraft is about $30 cheaper than the Jet was, and other than the color of the plastic housing, they appear to be identical.

Installation was easy: plug in the dust collector to the remote box, and then plug in the remote box to the extension cord (note that I have twist lock 220v receptacles, so I'm using a short shop made extension cord to handle the difference in plug types).  I also removed the little plastic feet on the bottom, this allows it to be mounted on the wall next to the receptacle.

I flipped the switch on the remote to On, pushed the button on the remote, and nothing happened. It helps to also turn on the dust collector. :)  Once the DC was on, the remote works perfectly.  I recommend this as an inexpensive remote solution for dust collectors.

Let me know if you have any questions - happy to answer what I can.

• Like 1

My friend had a "The Long Ranger III" (Taiwan made) remote for his 110V dust collector (I own it now) and when he first got it, It didn't work. <_<  

He had his next door neighbor who is an electrician come over and check it out. The three of us couldn't figure out what was wrong. The dust collector worked just fine but, the remote didn't do anything. :wacko:

Then my son (who replaced my dictionary and all other reference books by just being alive) dropped by. He tried it, looked it over and finally ask for a NEW 9 volt battery......Works just fine for the last five years! :rolleyes:

Sometimes the simplest things bite us in the behind. :lol:

Rog