aftermarket fence recommendations

Brendon_t

I've had a Bies for years & it's a great fence.  Super sturdy & really easy to make very fine adjustments.  That being said, the VSCT would certainly be an upgrade; it's got a similar simple, solid & strong design with the benefit of that nifty aluminum extrusion.  Besides, any fence with 'the power in the nuts' has to be awesome.

The VSCT fence is superior to the Vega, both in quality and versatility. If you can get over its unconventional look, you'd be better off with it. But hey, whatever floats yer boat.

Here is was catching me about the VSCT fence. My current fence has a slot for a t bolt for add ons and the like. . I've never used it. I looked through my jigs and could not find one that would benefit from being bolted to the fence.

The VSCT fence also doesn't come with the rail system for a beis style fence which I don't have so it effectively doubled the price over the vega system

They make t-squares that fit nearly every make and model of saw.  I'd be surprised if you couldn't use your existing rails with one of their t-squares.  Maybe I'm wrong.

And I gotta add...just because you don't use jigs with your fence at the moment, doesn't mean you won't or shouldn't in the future.  The VSCT fence opens up a world of jig opportunities.  I've barely scratched the surface with it, but on several occasions I've done some weird stuff you couldn't do with a traditional Biese fence.  I don't care what you do...it's your saw.  Just seems odd you're spending your time searching for a fence that's no longer made when you can get a better one elsewhere right now...and support a small business to boot.  Call Allan.  Good luck.  Over and out.

I bought a bunch of the extruded aluminum rail with T / V tracks that the VSCT fence uses to build a new router fence, and I am thinking about attaching a section to my Vega fence. I have about five feet of it left, I was thinking about just rigging up a clamping system to hold it on.

It was pretty cheap over on openbuilds.com.

...just because you don't use jigs with your fence at the moment, doesn't mean you won't or shouldn't in the future.  The VSCT fence opens up a world of jig opportunities.  I've barely scratched the surface with it, but on several occasions I've done some weird stuff you couldn't do with a traditional Biese fence.

Got any specific examples?   I inherently like the idea and think it's valuable and worth having...but I too struggle to imagine stuff beyond basic featherboards, taller auxillary fences, and sacrificial fences for doing rabbets.   What else have you done/seen that was interesting/useful?

Allan has some videos on youtube and I believe additional info on his site.  He doesn't really go into everything it can do because a lot of it has yet to be imagined.  It's the fact that the fence allows weird and different jigs to be used that sets it apart.  Options...solutions on the fly.  The couple oddball things I've done with it would be difficult to describe in less than a thousand words so I won't bother, but suffice it to say they were things that could have been done on a standard Biese fence but made a thousand times easier with the VSCT.

Got any specific examples?   I inherently like the idea and think it's valuable and worth having...but I too struggle to imagine stuff beyond basic featherboards, taller auxillary fences, and sacrificial fences for doing rabbets.   What else have you done/seen that was interesting/useful?

Yeah same here.  I'd love to hear of any specific examples outside the usual featherboard/tall fence, etc.  

Edit:  looks like I was too slow.  I'll check out the videos.