Dust Collection while Sanding

iSawitFirst

I need to greatly improve my DC while sanding and am looking at the following options:

1. Buy a Festool RO sander and wear a pink respirator (like Marc :D)

2. Keep my PC RO sander, wear a pink respirator and build a downdraft table

3. Keep my PC RO sander, wear a pink respirator and get an air filtration system for the shop

Price is important but when it comes to my lungs, price is no object. Still, if I can get good, reliable dust collection on a budget, why not?

Your thoughts?

Definitely #1. And if you can't swing #1, save a little more then go with #1. But then you should really consider #1 as well. It's "#1" for a reason ;)

Clean your bench, sand for a long time with a Festool sander hooked up to a CT DE. Wait a couple hours for 'dust' to settle and check the bench. You'll be surprised, and happy.

I can't do a pink respirator; my friends warn me that it will clash with my shop tutu.

I have been using a Dewalt ROS hooked up to my old shop vac and there is no dust in the air when I sand. In fact, it pulls the sander down to the worksurface so I don't have to use downward pressure and it sucks the dust out of the pores on open pored woods like mahogany. I also wear a respirator when I power sand. Seems backwards to me that when I power sand, I have a respirator and DC going, and when I hand sand, I don't wear a respirator or have DC. Maybe I should rethink this? :blink: A down draft table sounds like a good idea!

Anyway, hope this gives you some thoughts. If you just want to justify a new tool purchase, forget everything that I said and go for the festool setup, it sounds like it works great. ;)

Definitely #1. And if you can't swing #1, save a little more then go with #1. But then you should really consider #1 as well. It's "#1" for a reason ;)

Clean your bench, sand for a long time with a Festool sander hooked up to a CT DE. Wait a couple hours for 'dust' to settle and check the bench. You'll be surprised, and happy.

I can't do a pink respirator; my friends warn me that it will clash with my shop tutu.

eeeewwwwww!

Nate

The Festool ROS connected to the CT Dust Collector eliminates virtually all of the dust. It is not inexpensive but it works great.

Others have said that they have had similar results with other brands of ROS connected to various other vacs but the Festools are designed to work together.

Domer

My shop/barn is so drafty that I really don't need a DC system. The dust blows out the doors or falls throught the floor cracks. I will probably invest in one sometime soom. As for a pink respirator, I lean more to the colors Heliotrope and Puce, they don't clash with my eyes.

Guest Mahoganus

Ditto, I have even used mine for sanding drywall in my house and my god is it ever nice to sand dustless. My wife was also very happy, she couldn't even believe it either.

You all think its necessary to wear a respirator even with the festtool sanders and DC system? I havnt been and at the end of the day I dont have those nasty wood boogers.

Ditto, I have even used mine for sanding drywall in my house and my god is it ever nice to sand dustless. My wife was also very happy, she couldn't even believe it either.

You all think its necessary to wear a respirator even with the festtool sanders and DC system? I havnt been and at the end of the day I dont have those nasty wood boogers.

I did a bunch of drywall cutting in the house with the Festool Trion jigsaw connected to the CT. Yeah, a jigsaw to cut drywall is overkill, but it was cutting out large expanses on the ceiling so much easier to use a jigsaw. The dust collection also kept me from getting completely covered in the gypsum.

I don't wear a respirator. I hate the smell they get (which I guess would be a byproduct of my breath... :blink:) I've done exciting 4-5 hour days of sanding with hardly any dust build-up. Those HEPA filters work wonders. No wood boogers either (though I bet they would make excellent color-matched crack filler).

I haven't read all the other post ,but this is what I've done. I refitted my shop vac with the more expensive and efficient gore tex filter , then attached a "Dust Deputy" to my shop vac as well. My new PC low profile 5 hole RO sander is hitched up to this. I don't see any dust in the air. I do also have the whole shop dust collector hanging above as well, for any that might escape. The Dust Deputy keeps the dust out of the filter, so you always have maximum suction. Works very ,very well! Worth the money! Ask for one for Christmas!