Raise an antique table

chaos421

How best to raise the antique table?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How best to raise the antique table?

• Totally replace the legs
    • Use some manufactured product I've referenced in the comments
    • Create leg extenders that attach in some way
    • Create leg extenders that the table sits on
    • Use the table for kindling, get a new table
    • Some other genius idea, see the comments...

Hey gang,

I'm looking for ways/ideas/suggestions on how to elevate an antique table we've acquired. I believe it was made in the early 1900s, and must have had a standard lower height back then. We're using it for a desk today. I feel like the best option would be to create some type of extenders that each of the 4 legs could rest on. Has anyone had experience with this? The legs don't come off, and adding height at the top of each leg would mean a major reconstruction.

Here are a couple photos:

post-2671-0-09458900-1290354664_thumb.jp

post-2671-0-44211900-1290354675_thumb.jp

I look forward to your ideas...

Thanks,

Keith

I don't have any experience, but I'd cut the legs at the "waist" just above the foot. Then I'd turn a leg extension, and fasten the extension to the leg with a dowel and glue.Hopefully, the seam will be hidden by the bulge immediately above. The two hard parts are coming up with a profile for the extension that will look good, and matching the existing legs finish, grain, etc.

How much height do you want to add?

Hmm... I haven't done any turning yet. What about cutting the legs off just under the square component at the top of the leg and inserting a cylindrical piece there?

Maybe you can buy a spindle that has a section that would look OK. Is there a section of leg that is cylindrical (not tapered)? If so, you may be able to insert a dowel without it looking weird.

If you insert an extension at the top it would create two joints, and the joints would be more visible.

Hmm... I haven't done any turning yet. What about cutting the legs off just under the square component at the top of the leg and inserting a cylindrical piece there?

Well Keith, just the excuse you were looking for , " Honey, I need to go and get a lathe to fix that antique Table! or even better Gee If I only had a lathe I could fix That table for Christmas . . .. Hint . .. ..Hint .. .."

I am thinking that the higher up on the leg the repair is made the more likely the repair will be to failure from getting moved around by someone that does not know of the somewhat fragile nature. Look at some stair balusters you might find something you can use, or part of a baluster you can use if you are going to go that route.

Did you ever say how much you wanted to raise the Table, it looks like you could attach a hunk of wood to the existing leg and just use a plane or tool of your choice and just continue the tapered profile for two or three inches.

What am I thinking, it's almost Christmas, You figure out what you want, give me some dimensions and I will turn them for you, you pay for shipping. E-mail me and we will get er done.

• Like 2

I like dryhter's idea of continuing the taper. I'd cut it just underneath the bead (bulge) above the waist, plane or sand a dowel so that it matches the taper of the upper leg, and then attach it by drilling holes and using a smaller dowel.

I like dryhter's idea, too, especially since continuing the taper makes it very easy to reverse if you want to sell it as an antique later as the only 'damage' will be a hold under the foot. (I don't know if this has real antique value; just saying). Also very impressed with his offer. Too, cool! Custom turning for Christmas. :)

Maybe something like this would be a lot easier to blend in seeing as it is just increasing the square section and not having to deal with turning aspect and with a little creativity could become almost invisible and in my extremely rushed photo editing attempt it actually looks pretty good to me anyway.

post-355-0-52699700-1290778454_thumb.jpg

Actually the worse place you could extend the leg would be at the top. If there is any possibility of joint failure it'll be there. Quite apart from that being the most expensive option in terms of material etc. Also, unless you're really good at colour matching it'll look a mess. Table legs often look darker near the bottom as they tend to get more dirt on them down there.

The best ideas are from Beech Wood Chip, Dryhter and Paul. If you don't have a lathe, and I like the idea of convincing the wife you should have one, I'd go for the easiest next solution and extend the legs from the waist just below the bulge. Even a reasonable joint will be virtually invisible, unless your nosey guests like rolling around on the floor. Shape the extension to match the taper as closely as possible, a good thick dowel joint plenty of sanding and re-finish. Let us know how you get on.

Pete