This is not a roubo workbench...:)

shaneymack

Bench looks great !

I would definitely spray that MDF w pre cat. Several coats ! It will prevent swelling and help stiffen the edges in the holes. Lots of fingers in holes sanding but it beats ring bumps in your top.

I use 2" pink foam sheet to cut on w my tracksaw. I ripped it into a 2'x8' and (2) 2' x 4' pieces. I just arrange them to support and leave room for the clamps on critical cuts. Just the friction strips works for simple cuts if you are careful.

Looks good Shane...great use of space. But what happens when you buy another FT? Will your OCD allow you to store a systainer all by itself somewhere? :D

Hahah! I already thought of that one Eric. My vacuum accesory systainer 4 is one on the shelves. That technically doesnt need to be there. So when ever i buy another festool, which will be a very long time from now, i will remove the vacuum accesory systainer and replace it. The sys 4 takes up the place of two regular tool systainers so i could add a shelf and have room for 2 more. And if i ever buy more than i have room for than i would only keep the ones i use most there, or make another bench 10 feet long...lol

Bench looks great !

I would definitely spray that MDF w pre cat. Several coats ! It will prevent swelling and help stiffen the edges in the holes. Lots of fingers in holes sanding but it beats ring bumps in your top.

I use 2" pink foam sheet to cut on w my tracksaw. I ripped it into a 2'x8' and (2) 2' x 4' pieces. I just arrange them to support and leave room for the clamps on critical cuts. Just the friction strips works for simple cuts if you are careful.

Good advice. I was leaning towards a few coats of ARS for ease of application and not having to sand 100 holes by finger. But i do have a gallon of becker acroma waterbourne pre cat 40 degree that might look sweet on this thing.....decisions, decisions.

As for the track saw cuts, ive normally used some 36" 1x1 deck ballusters strategically placed under every cut. I thought of the styrofoam thing but with such a tiny shop its just another thing id trip over or have to store.

Started working on the opposite side of the bench this week. I epoxied 2 t tracks into the top horizontal piece of the face frame which is 2" cherry. I then used the domino to install it to the bench. I only dominoed and glued the upper third to allow for expansion/contraction.

post-16857-143234775283_thumb.jpgpost-16857-143234776367_thumb.jpg

I then installed the vertical parts of the face frame to the bench. I put domino holes in the front of it to be able to support work pieces when clamped in the front t track

post-16857-143234790375_thumb.jpgpost-16857-143234791085_thumb.jpgpost-16857-143234791621_thumb.jpg

Next step, drawers. There will be 2 banks of 3 drawers and in the center space just a shelf or 2.

And on a somewhat related note, i will use my cherry scraps to smoke this butt on the big green egg tomorrow.

post-16857-143234812287_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome job...I wish I could get to Montreal so I could see it in action.

Cherry chips are the best smoking chips!

Anytime you are in montreal, you are welcome to come check it out!

I agree cherry is the best! I like mixing it with maple for smoking pork.

Anytime you are in montreal, you are welcome to come check it out!

I agree cherry is the best! I like mixing it with maple for smoking pork.

Before I retired, I used to travel to Montreal a lot.  My primary supplier was CAE.

If I ever make it back to Montreal, I will certainly take you up on your generous offer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally some progress with the workbench! I built and installed all the drawers. I went a little nuts and did the drawer boxes completely out of 3/4" baltic birch and joined it all together with some 6x40 dominos.

post-16857-143508570586_thumb.jpg

Solid hard maple fronts with cherry pulls. I really wanted to do inset ring pulls but they were expensive and would have taken too much time to install.

post-16857-143508580091_thumb.jpg

So glad to almost be done! 2 pieces of cherry left to do to wrap the mdf top and then a light sanding and a coat of danish oil.

• Like 1

Bench looks awesome! I've been trying to figure out alternatives for my garage shop as well and this has really inspired me. I think that side track with clamps is killer too. (i may have to borrow that idea) You might hit those drawer pulls in some rare instances with wide boards clamped on the side, but looks functional and great all around. well done!

• Like 1

Bench looks awesome! I've been trying to figure out alternatives for my garage shop as well and this has really inspired me. I think that side track with clamps is killer too. (i may have to borrow that idea) You might hit those drawer pulls in some rare instances with wide boards clamped on the side, but looks functional and great all around. well done!

Thanks alot!

I will be upgrading to these in the future;

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=73173&cat=3,41427,73241

Those cherry knobs were 2$ a piece and took all of 5 mins to install. I have been meaning to build my daughters chest of drawers for 2 months now so i gotta get at it. I couldnt invest the time to install those ring pulls. You are correct i am now limited to clamping around 12" for a really long board. If it happens that i need to clamp a long wide board for now i can unscrew a knob or 2. Wont kill me. I guess i will just appreciate my upgraded pulls more once i have them!