SketchUp

TomP

Since google bought SketchUp and made it publicly available and free, many people, including many woodworkers picked up on it. there are a lot of people on the forums (me included) using SketchUp.

SketchUp is relatively easy to pick up on, the learning curve is considerably short compared to other modeling applications, and since there are so many others using it, you can always get good help on the forums. In fact, we have a specific forum for SketchUp right here :)

feel free to post any questions about it, or PM me if you need any assistance.

I agree, it is a fantastic piece of software with great functionality for the woodworker. And the price is right! If you want to get started with it, i recommend checking out the models in the Google 3D warehouse. There are lots of already built models out there for woodworkers. In particular, Popular Woodworking Magazine has a bunch of their stuff modeled up and ready to go. Check this link for their stuff.

It's a smaller collection, but also check out The Wood Whisperer models in the warehouse.

Feel free to post any questions as you explore!

While the PW sketchup classes are good, I would highly recommend that if you want to pay for something, get Bob Lang's Woodworker's Guide to Google Sketchup. Bob did the PW classes but the pdf book available for ordering on a CD is much more thorough. It's $40 + shipping, but well worth it IMO

I bought the PW classes before his pdf book came out and decided to buy it as well.

the pdf book is available here

Gary Katz has a great tutorial on a drawing a bookcase that has enough hints and tips to get you about 90% started using Sketchup.See it here:

http://www.garymkatz.com/ChartsDrawings/SketchUp-Tutorials.html

BTW I use Sketchup for everything now. All my drawings of woodworking products are done in it. That and the Kreg Pocket Hole jig are what got me started woodworking (okay, perhaps a little of dad's influence helped as well).

Don't forget Google's Sketchup Forums.

You can easily learn to do simple things. Complex geometry has a long learning curve. The major weaknesses are how SU handles curves (it generates polylines instead, and complex curves are not easily controlled (there are no true NURBS curves, if you know what that means). Also, as your models get very complex, SU bogs down— more a problem for architects than woodworkers, but it hits some of us too. SU does not generate very small lines, like much less than 1/32", so you might have to draw in large scale and then shrink the plans (it will save & show the small lines, just not make them).

The good points: It's a great program! You can do almost everything with the free version (it costs to import DXF and save as PDF, but if you pay $500 (yowtch!) you get SU pro & the Layout program, which makes printing/emailing plans much easier). There is a dedicated, helpful community who will support you if you ask. Many free extensions are available to do specialized tasks (called Ruby Scripts). Many for pay also, tho the price is reasonable and some are simply amazing.

Jimbo

You can easily learn to do simple things. Complex geometry has a long learning curve. The major weaknesses are how SU handles curves (it generates polylines instead, and complex curves are not easily controlled (there are no true NURBS curves, if you know what that means). Also, as your models get very complex, SU bogs down— more a problem for architects than woodworkers, but it hits some of us too. SU does not generate very small lines, like much less than 1/32", so you might have to draw in large scale and then shrink the plans (it will save & show the small lines, just not make them).

The good points: It's a great program! You can do almost everything with the free version (it costs to import DXF and save as PDF, but if you pay $500 (yowtch!) you get SU pro & the Layout program, which makes printing/emailing plans much easier). There is a dedicated, helpful community who will support you if you ask. Many free extensions are available to do specialized tasks (called Ruby Scripts). Many for pay also, tho the price is reasonable and some are simply amazing.

Jimbo

I have the free SU. Like you said, it works for woodworking. I am recovering from knee surgery, so I have the time finally to play around with it and learn. I have been reading though the SketchUp and SketchUp Library forums and taking notes.

TomP

Gary Katz has a great tutorial on a drawing a bookcase that has enough hints and tips to get you about 90% started using Sketchup.See it here:

http://www.garymkatz.com/ChartsDrawings/SketchUp-Tutorials.html

BTW I use Sketchup for everything now. All my drawings of woodworking products are done in it. That and the Kreg Pocket Hole jig are what got me started woodworking (okay, perhaps a little of dad's influence helped as well).

Thanks Mike. I just viewed the bookcase tutorial. Going back to check out the drawer tutorial. This does help. I learned a lot just from the first video.

Jimbo

I agree with Jimbo's points above. Just as an FYI, you can always print to PDF if you have one of those print drivers. If you guys have seen the Chest of Drawers PDFs from the guild build, that was done 100% with the free version of SketchUp.

Jimbo

You can get around the PDF issue by a)using a Mac and Printing to PDF, or b)on a PC install a PDF generator like CutePDF and print to that.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a lot of trouble reading books on computer programs. Once I understand the program the books make sense but they don't until I understand the program.

So long story short I bought Bob Lang's book on Sketchup 7. It is pretty good as it shows you what he was talking about after you read it. So it is good for someone like me.

Probably computer savvy folks won't need it, but some of us old fogies do.

Domer

Hi guys. I saw in one of the Popular Woodworking magazines, SketchUp for Woodworkers. Its in two parts and cost $30. I am now trying to learn the google sketchup. I was just curious if anyone had used this program.

I’m currently going through Bob Lang’s e-Book “The Woodworkers Guide To SketchUp”. Before Bob Lang finished his 184 page e-Book, he released two CD’s on SketchUp. 1) ShopClass: SketchUp for Woodworkers – Part 1: Getting Started CD & 2) ShopClass: SketchUp for Woodworkers – Part 2: Advanced Techniques CD. His e-Book has 49 or 50 short video clips embedded throughout the e-Book specific to the topic under discussion (demonstrations). I didn't get the CD's, just the e-Book so I can't comment on CD's.

Someone asked about the difference between his two CD’s and now his e-Book. Here is Bob’s reply from a blog post:

“The book and the videos cover much of the same territory, but in a different fashion. Both assume no knowledge of SketchUp and take you through what you need to know to plan woodworking projects. Which to get depends a lot on how you learn. If you're a quick learner the videos will get you going. If you prefer more in depth information, the book goes into the whys behind what to do. The videos are all video, watching them is similar to sitting through my presentations at Woodworking in America. The book has 184 pages of text, supplemented with about an hours worth of video. The book is more like taking a week long class. If you're on a tight budget or pressed for time, I'd suggest starting with the first video. If that leaves you wanting more then get the second video and/or the book.” – Bob Lang

Here’s a link to Marc Spagnuolo free site blog on his experience over a couple of nights with Bob Lang’s e-Book.