Bench-top finish?

Kenny

So I'll finally get to see what it's like, to actually use a flat surface, but before I do...what do you folks recommend for a finish? I was thinking BLO followed by wax, any thoughts would be appreciated. Not much of a 'real' bench, but it belonged to my dad years ago, so I'm trying to keep it usable for a while, until I attempt building my own someday...then, either sell this one for scrap metal due to all the hidden brads, or maybe as a chunk of 'filled' Swiss cheese{Dad never could leave his vise in one place lol, IIRC I used 30inches of doweling, filling the holes when I brought it home...}

Using what was available for the jig...

dscf27580.jpg

Glad I wore eye protection, found hidden brad nails almost everywhere...

dscf2773n.jpg

Three passes later, what a mess...

dscf2776.jpg

end result...

dscf27850.jpg

So I'll finally get to see what it's like, to actually use a flat surface, but before I do...what do you folks recommend for a finish? I was thinking BLO followed by wax, any thoughts would be appreciated. Not much of a 'real' bench, but it belonged to my dad years ago, so I'm trying to keep it usable for a while, until I attempt building my own someday...then, either sell this one for scrap metal due to all the hidden brads, or maybe as a chunk of 'filled' Swiss cheese{Dad never could leave his vise in one place lol, IIRC I used 30inches of doweling, filling the holes when I brought it home...}

Using what was available for the jig...

dscf27580.jpg

Glad I wore eye protection, found hidden brad nails almost everywhere...

dscf2773n.jpg

Three passes later, what a mess...

dscf2776.jpg

end result...

dscf27850.jpg

I'll leave the recommendation of finish to others as I'll fairly ignorant on that particular matter, however I'd like to congratulate you on the flattening of the top. Looks like you made what can be a complicated jig very easy. Congratulations of flat Woodworking.

Thanks Vic, I suppose I was hoping someone had a secret formula, providing substantial protection from

the 'sure to come' idiotic abuses I'll impart on it ;)

Thank you also, Dyami, it's a great feeling after years of using roller coaster tops{lol}.

The jig itself was very simple, but getting it all level & on plane was the real chore. Now, if I could

just incorporate some of the patience I used setting it up, into my actual woodworking...I'd be all set{more lol}

What router bit did you use? How did the router bit handle "finding" the brads?

I used a cheap HSS 1/2" for the first two passes, followed by a 3/4" plywood type dado bit for the last two passes.

The brads caused no visible{to me anyways} damage, looked like they{brad nails} were 18 gauge. After each was found{Grrr...} I set them deeper

with a nail set, if I couldn't get a hold of them.

The routing really went well, other than I choose a low spot to set the depth of what I intended to remove...only to find out there was

another slightly lower area which required an extra trip down the jig{duh}.