Greene and Greene Desk

SD_Andy

They really are an incredible creature. Watching it lower its head and just plow through the trees was humbling. It was similar to when my wife and I were camping in Yellowstone and each morning would wake up with small herd of bison within a couple hundred feet of our campsite. When they would get spooked by something and run off, we could feel the ground shaking.

I use iBird also! I bought it right after my daughter started pointing out birds in our back yard, and then went out and bought a feeder to draw them in closer for her to see. I've been interested in birding for a while, ever since my wife (girlfriend at the time) took an ornithology course in college. I went on some bird watching outings with her (she was bird watching, I was "bird" watching), and ended up enjoying it. My daughter loves the outdoors and I intend to foster that as much as possible. Looking forward to much hiking, camping, and adventures outside with her.

To bring it somewhat back to topic, have you built other G&G style furniture as well? Or is this desk the only one?

23 hours ago, JohnG said:

They really are an incredible creature. Watching it lower its head and just plow through the trees was humbling. It was similar to when my wife and I were camping in Yellowstone and each morning would wake up with small herd of bison within a couple hundred feet of our campsite. When they would get spooked by something and run off, we could feel the ground shaking.

I use iBird also! I bought it right after my daughter started pointing out birds in our back yard, and then went out and bought a feeder to draw them in closer for her to see. I've been interested in birding for a while, ever since my wife (girlfriend at the time) took an ornithology course in college. I went on some bird watching outings with her (she was bird watching, I was "bird" watching), and ended up enjoying it. My daughter loves the outdoors and I intend to foster that as much as possible. Looking forward to much hiking, camping, and adventures outside with her.

To bring it somewhat back to topic, have you built other G&G style furniture as well? Or is this desk the only one?

I'm not a hardcore birder but I enjoy seeing and photographing certain birds.   I know guys that drive all over the state or country to see rare birds.  I like what I like and I spend time trying to get pictures of those birds.    I'm not trying to fill out a checklist.

I've built a couple pieces.   I started with a clock that turned out ok but that was before I had researched G&G much.   I learned a lot doing that and then I was hooked.   I started reading what ever I could find and watching any G&G videos I could get my hands on.   Then I built the desk which is by far my favorite even though it isn't perfect.   I would change a couple of things next time.   Then I built a version of Peart's blanket chest.   Basically a shorter version.   That was a great project that turned out really well.   it was a bit tedious but a lot of fun and not too difficult.   I haven't done anything interesting since because I've been focusing on photography and fishing.

15896320_10208120448310282_1838804482315497655_o.jpg

6 hours ago, SD_Andy said:

I'm not a hardcore birder but I enjoy seeing and photographing certain birds.   I know guys that drive all over the state or country to see rare birds.  I like what I like and I spend time trying to get pictures of those birds.    I'm not trying to fill out a checklist.

I've built a couple pieces.   I started with a clock that turned out ok but that was before I had researched G&G much.   I learned a lot doing that and then I was hooked.   I started reading what ever I could find and watching any G&G videos I could get my hands on.   Then I built the desk which is by far my favorite even though it isn't perfect.   I would change a couple of things next time.   Then I built a version of Peart's blanket chest.   Basically a shorter version.   That was a great project that turned out really well.   it was a bit tedious but a lot of fun and not too difficult.   I haven't done anything interesting since because I've been focusing on photography and fishing.

(pic removed to shorten quote)

Agreed, I enjoy certain birds but won't be traveling solely to lengthen a life list. If we travel somewhere and have an opportunity to see some interesting birds from the area, it will be an added bonus to the trip, not the main reason.

What changes would you make to the desk? I really like the modified blanket chest. I regret not purchasing the guild project while it was on sale a couple weeks ago. I have a blanket chest on my "future builds" list, and lately I have been very interested in the G&G style and Peart's work.

15 hours ago, JohnG said:

Agreed, I enjoy certain birds but won't be traveling solely to lengthen a life list. If we travel somewhere and have an opportunity to see some interesting birds from the area, it will be an added bonus to the trip, not the main reason.

What changes would you make to the desk? I really like the modified blanket chest. I regret not purchasing the guild project while it was on sale a couple weeks ago. I have a blanket chest on my "future builds" list, and lately I have been very interested in the G&G style and Peart's work.

I’ll travel a ways for certain birds but not every bird to fill a list.   I love owls so I spend quite a bit of time on the road for them.   But I wouldn’t travel down the block to see a rare gull.

i would shorten the height of the desk by a little and I would thicken the legs slightly.   The weight of the legs seems a little light after seeing it together.   I would do some things different with the construction too but nothing that would be too noticeable.

I built the blanket chest using the FWW article from a couple of years ago.  It was fairly complete.  Only had to fill in a couple of gaps in information.   I would be happy to help if you needed any tips.   I’m sure the video would be great and I’m sure you would learn a ton from it but it’s doable without the video.   I would like to watch it even though I’ve already built one.

The G&G style is by far my favorite.   They are tough to build but worth it in the end.   I would be happy to share some of the knowledge sources that I’ve found along the way if you are interested.

20 minutes ago, SD_Andy said:

I’ll travel a ways for certain birds but not every bird to fill a list.   I love owls so I spend quite a bit of time on the road for them.   But I wouldn’t travel down the block to see a rare gull.

i would shorten the height of the desk by a little and I would thicken the legs slightly.   The weight of the legs seems a little light after seeing it together.   I would do some things different with the construction too but nothing that would be too noticeable.

I built the blanket chest using the FWW article from a couple of years ago.  It was fairly complete.  Only had to fill in a couple of gaps in information.   I would be happy to help if you needed any tips.   I’m sure the video would be great and I’m sure you would learn a ton from it but it’s doable without the video.   I would like to watch it even though I’ve already built one.

The G&G style is by far my favorite.   They are tough to build but worth it in the end.   I would be happy to share some of the knowledge sources that I’ve found along the way if you are interested.

I’ll check out that FWW article. I own several guild projects and have bought some of them just to watch, with no intention to ever build the piece. They are well made and enjoyable to watch, and the lessons are easily transferred to other projects. 

Once I finish up a couple in-progress projects, I’ll propose a G&G style item to my wife and see how she feels about the style. I may have to hold off on a ‘me’ project since I also just proposed about $5k in machines I want to buy :P but I will definitely reach out to you for some tips/advice when I get around to a G&G project. 

1 hour ago, JohnG said:

I’ll check out that FWW article. I own several guild projects and have bought some of them just to watch, with no intention to ever build the piece. They are well made and enjoyable to watch, and the lessons are easily transferred to other projects. 

Once I finish up a couple in-progress projects, I’ll propose a G&G style item to my wife and see how she feels about the style. I may have to hold off on a ‘me’ project since I also just proposed about $5k in machines I want to buy :P but I will definitely reach out to you for some tips/advice when I get around to a G&G project. 

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2014/10/01/build-a-greene-and-greene-blanket-chest

I've been tempted to buy some guild projects but nothing has really caught my eye yet.   I have some William NG, Dale Barnard and Peart stuff that is good.   Dale is very thorough which I like.     

I don't know what your experience level is but I would start with something small to learn the techniques on.   Maybe even make some sample plugs and breadboard ends and splines.   Jigs are critical and the Lee Valley square holes punch that Peart come up with are also critical tools.   $5k and tools!   That sounds fun.  What are you looking at?

Sawstop pro, 36” fence, 3hp. 14” bandsaw. Jointer (pref parallelogram 8”). Probably wouldn’t buy all at once, but are purchased I’d like to make in the somewhat near future. May settle for a 6” jointer if a good deal comes up that I have the time to jump on. I’ve seen some good deals on 8” jointers, but just haven’t had the availability to rent/borrow a truck and drive out to get them. 

I’ve only been into woodworking for a couple years, but have always enjoyed building things and working with my hands. My skills at woodworking still have a long way to go, but it’s an enjoyable learning experience. I see a lot of improvement with each project. 

The first guild project I bought was the highboy project when they were running the Fathers Day sale. It’s 11+ hours of video. I would never build a Queen Anne highboy for myself, but I learned a lot from watching it, and have put a lot of it to use on other projects. At your level, based on this desk, there may not be as much benefit in just watching them. I didn’t even take a wood shop class in high school (at that time I thought metal working was cool and woodworking was lame), and didn’t grow up with any woodworkers in the family. I’m still learning a lot of the best practices and rules of thumb, so I’m trying to absorb as much info as possible. I also don’t know any local woodworkers, and the guild projects have been a much better value than the one Woodcraft class I took. 

I will have to do some specific G&G reading and research. I just drool over some of Peart’s pieces. 

13 hours ago, JohnG said:

Sawstop pro, 36” fence, 3hp. 14” bandsaw. Jointer (pref parallelogram 8”). Probably wouldn’t buy all at once, but are purchased I’d like to make in the somewhat near future. May settle for a 6” jointer if a good deal comes up that I have the time to jump on. I’ve seen some good deals on 8” jointers, but just haven’t had the availability to rent/borrow a truck and drive out to get them. 

I’ve only been into woodworking for a couple years, but have always enjoyed building things and working with my hands. My skills at woodworking still have a long way to go, but it’s an enjoyable learning experience. I see a lot of improvement with each project. 

The first guild project I bought was the highboy project when they were running the Fathers Day sale. It’s 11+ hours of video. I would never build a Queen Anne highboy for myself, but I learned a lot from watching it, and have put a lot of it to use on other projects. At your level, based on this desk, there may not be as much benefit in just watching them. I didn’t even take a wood shop class in high school (at that time I thought metal working was cool and woodworking was lame), and didn’t grow up with any woodworkers in the family. I’m still learning a lot of the best practices and rules of thumb, so I’m trying to absorb as much info as possible. I also don’t know any local woodworkers, and the guild projects have been a much better value than the one Woodcraft class I took. 

I will have to do some specific G&G reading and research. I just drool over some of Peart’s pieces. 

Sounds like some great purchases.   I'd like to upgrade to a sawstop but I haven't done it yet.   I'd kind of like to wait until I can afford to keep my current Powermatic AND buy a Sawstop.   I have an 8" PM jointer and I love it.  They are a pain to move.   I use an engine hoist.

I'm really not a great woodworker, I'm just persistent :)  I'm pretty close and methodical.  A lot of guys would have knocked that out much faster and probably better than I did.   I've been woodworking on and off since I was a teenager but I didn't get really serious until about 10 years ago.

I would start your research with Peart's two books if you haven't bought them already.   There are a few youtube videos that are helpful also.  If you want to PM my your email address I can send you some more info.

I'm currently just using a jobsite table saw, and would like to upgrade to a cabinet saw. My wife works in the ER and has seen people come in with fingers in a jar, so she is supportive of the idea but I'm not sure she was expecting the $3k price tag. I don't have a jointer at all yet, just been using S3S for projects. Luckily the dealer I use does a pretty good job and the boards have generally stayed square and straight (except for a couple odd boards). I've got a 10" bandsaw, but would like to be able to resaw more than 4". The bandsaw upgrade will probably be the last of the three.

I do have Peart's books on my 'wishlist'. I'll probably buy one or both in early 2019.

On 12/1/2018 at 7:46 PM, pkinneb said:

I live about a block from the refuge and hike in there with my huskies quite often :) 

Do you see many red fox up there?  I’ve been thinking about hiking out in the snow at the refuge to try to find some to photograph.   

On 12/9/2018 at 8:22 AM, Chip Sawdust said:

I second the Peart two books idea if you want to do G&G stuff. I got them both, and the square punch set, and they have been nearly invaluable. Especially the punch set. 

I love the punches.     I use them all the time.  Perfect for make square holes or squaring up a slot cut with a router.

5 hours ago, JohnG said:

I'm currently just using a jobsite table saw, and would like to upgrade to a cabinet saw. My wife works in the ER and has seen people come in with fingers in a jar, so she is supportive of the idea but I'm not sure she was expecting the $3k price tag. I don't have a jointer at all yet, just been using S3S for projects. Luckily the dealer I use does a pretty good job and the boards have generally stayed square and straight (except for a couple odd boards). I've got a 10" bandsaw, but would like to be able to resaw more than 4". The bandsaw upgrade will probably be the last of the three.

I do have Peart's books on my 'wishlist'. I'll probably buy one or both in early 2019.

Having a jointer/planer to square up lumber is a game changer.   And it will save you money on lumber.   I don’t find myself doing much resawing but it depends on what you want to build and what you have available.

You will want to read those books a couple of times.   Great stuff!