Universal Riving Knives?

zeboim

I have an old old craftsman tablesaw, model 113, which apparently was built in the 70s.  I refuse to make my first cut on the thing until I have some safety mechanism on it.  The only thing it has is a zero clearance insert.  I would like to get a riving knife for it, but I guess it was built before those were a thing.  Do they make universal riving knives for older machines like this? 

If I can't get a riving knife, I'm going to order a spllitter and make do until I save up enough for new table saw.  Alternately, if the responses to this post scare me enough, I may just use it as a work bench.   :)

*EDIT*

I also plan to replace the blade with something new and sharp before making the first cut as well.

You won't be able to find a retrofit riving knife kit for that saw (or any saw?).  I'm pretty sure either a saw is set up for a riving knife or it's not and never the twain shall meet.  You'd have to fabricate that yourself...and good luck, unless you're a hardcore engineering/machinist type of guy.

Look at microjig splitters for a cheap alternative.  I've never used one but it seems like most guys like them okay.

I am in a similar boat - would like a riving knife but no retrofits are available. I use the microjig splitter, as Eric suggested, and it's great. I am going to upgrade to the new "pro" version after I wear out the lower end version. Shouldn't take me too long, I already broke a pin out of one of the splitters (plastic).

I've got the MicroJig pro splitter on my ripping ZCI, and it does the job of preventing kickback. I have had some walnut close on the splitter and make it near impossible to push Shut the saw and try again, now that the stored up energy was released. It definitely saved a nasty kickback. I have a Jet cabinet saw from around 2005 pre riving knife. There is the BORK and the Shark Guard, however I don't know if I can justify 200ish bucks on an aftermarket riving knife, especially one that requires trunnion modification. More than likely I'll buy a new saw in a couple of years