New in the box?

PaulMarcel

So my shop looks like the flotsam of a tornado (yeah, I know tornados don't have flotsams). Putting up conduit and moving everything I have, I swear, 3 times in the process.

I came across some templates I bought thinking, "hey, these will be useful". They still have a snip of blue tape on them. I put blue tape on tools I haven't yet used or that need waxing before the next use. These qualify on both fronts.

Generally I don't like anything going unused mostly because I don't like buying something I don't need (yeah, that's subjective :)) That said, though, I have several small things like 5-gallon paint pail cyclones, folding table legs, some "specialty" clamps (special cuz they aren't that useful....), and 3 stud finders that are no rival for my knuckle and ear.

Oh, I have duplicates. I have some Veritas pull saws and some for when company comes over. Some Veritas planes and some for when company comes over. That's all that subjective thing :)

But I'm curious... recent threads have had admissions of nice tools still sitting in a box "waiting for setup". I know we picked on Vic for a long time for leaving a 12" jointer in a box.

What's sitting in your shop, new-in-the-box, waiting for "that day"?

Well it's not waiting now as I finally used it to flush trim some stuff on a bookcase I'm building. But I bought a Bosch Colt last year on a Black Friday sale and it sat in a drawer until last weekend.

My worst, is probably a sand casting set that I bought on a whim a few years ago to cast some drawer pulls that I've not used at all other than to trip over every once in a while.

I try not to buy things that I don't have a need for in the near future, so I usually ignore sales unless I'm looking for that item. That said, I have a couple carving gouges that I have not used that I traded some wood for. I have a lot of hardware that I've stockpiled for the day when I'll need it. Does that count? As for tools, I can't think of anything else. Maybe it's because I've completely forgetten about them... or not.

I have a scrub plane I bought about 4 years ago I've never used. I just bought a Millers Falls #14 last month that's still waiting to meet some wood. I intend to make a Roubo bench next year & the #14 will be used then. Not sure about the scrub plane, though.

I've also got this tool for shaping the seats on chairs. I got it for a christmas gift some years ago. I thought it was just a scraper when I put it on the list that year. Didn't realize it was such a specialized tool until I opened the box on Christmas morning. That's stuffed in the back of a drawer in my rolling tool cabinet until such time as I make a chair.

Tony

I know they suck but I bought six harbor freight pipe clamps because they were on sale months ago. 3.99 each.

Still haven't bought the pipe to go with them even though I have done a few projects I could've used them on.

Can't seem to get enough extra funds together to buy wood and the tools at the same time.

Whenever I "Clean" the shop or basement there is usually some tool or box or bucket of stuff I have forgotten that exists. I have a brand new Craftsman dovetail gadget that has never been opened, the sales slip taped to it indicates that it was bought in 1990, two moves ago.

Actually the Pittsburgh pipe clamps don't really suck. Not everything from HF is a pile of drek, and pipe clamps are kinda hard to screw up :). I haven't noticed much difference between them and Pony's or Rocklers'.

I can't comment on how they work yet... no pipes.

I have noticed they are REALLY light and seem really fragile.

must be different than. I know they used to sell two kinds, not sure if they still do, their heavy duty Pittsburgh ones were something like $6 for the 3/4" ones and I've used them for years, found no difference between them and higher priced pipe clamps. But I seem to remember they had a crappier version too.