Worth The Purchase?

dinkjs

So right now I have hand planes ranging from 3 to 8 (minus a #7)

My question is TO THE PEOPLE THAT ALREADY OWN THE ODD BALL SIZE PLANES! Should I invest in the unordinary sizes....4 1/2, 5 1/4, 5 1/2?

As for a #1 or #2 I am not even letting it cross my mind....they are not worth the money to have those 2 unless someone practically gives me one

That's a tough question. Odd sized planes are worthless... until you need one. Sooner or later you may come across a project where you'd give your kingdom for an odd plane. But more than likely it will just sit in you cabinet looking impressive... I can't tell you the number of chicks I've impressed with my collection of planes. "Wow, what a large number of planes you have... Tha's so hot!"

So right now I have hand planes ranging from 3 to 8 (minus a #7)

My question is TO THE PEOPLE THAT ALREADY OWN THE ODD BALL SIZE PLANES! Should I invest in the unordinary sizes....4 1/2, 5 1/4, 5 1/2?

As for a #1 or #2 I am not even letting it cross my mind....they are not worth the money to have those 2 unless someone practically gives me one

John,

The only oddball one I have is a 4 1/2. That is my go to smoother for normal size work. It has more mass and a wider blade to help you get the job done. I cannot speak of the other 2 planes as I dont own either. Millers Falls made a 4 1/2 sized smoother also, I think it was a #10. Those are real nice planes as well, though they are a bit tough to find in decent shape.

Roger

What you have is more than enough to tackle any hand tool project. Not to discourage your from buying another tool, but in all honesty a lot of the planes made today and even by Stanley back in the day weren't necessary. In the bench plane realm all you need is a jointer, jack and smoother (heck some people get by with only one of those). You have all those in your Nos. 3-8 (minus No. 7).

Now I will raise my hand and say I am not only a user, but a collector and I have an antique No. 4 1/2 and No. 5 1/4. I bought them intending to use them. They now sit on the upper shelf collecting dust. They were set up and work exceptionally well. However, I always found myself reaching for my No. 4 and not the No. 4 1/2 and the same thing with the #5 1/4. My LN No. 62 is my go to jack. So they have been relegated to collector status and sit with other tools that I found I just don't need. Someday I may part with them because I don't see the need.

By the way, there are only three bench planes in my toolchest - LN No. 4 (HAF), LN No. 62 and a LN No. 7. I have been working with hand tools for six years and have yet to find a place where I needed a different bench plane. Spend your money on other tools at this point. Have you got into saws, braces, drills, chisels, or marking tools yet?

the 5 1/4 was called a jr jack for a reason. was used in schools to teach woodworking to students. they needed the smaller plane.

I have a #6 jointer which is suited to me. i think it all depends on your work you are interested in. I have an interest in smaller case work, i like to build smaller stuff.

it's really just about personal preference and the type of work you do. Some people swear by using a #8 over a #7 - that extra 2 inches in length and 1/2 and inch in width might really make a difference if you find yourself flattening large table tops on a regular basis. Many people feel the extra weight of a 4 1/2 helps them get better results smoothing. You never know unless you try it out.

I have a millers falls junior jack that is very cute. No better than any of my other #3 or #4 sized planes, just cute. It's probably the only plane in my collection that I can say is only on the wall because of the novelty of it and not because I have a specific justification for that particular plane. I also have a Millers Falls #18 (Bailey #6 size fore plane) that isn't really much better than my #7, just shorter. The extra mass is nice for a shooting board, and along those lines you might find a 5 1/2 work just as well - and maybe easier in that capacity with the slightly shorter length. Again, just personal preference.

• 1 month later...

I don't think of those as 'odd' sizes, per se.

I have a #4 (2" iron), #5 (2" iron), #7 (2 3/8" iron) (among others). I think why some people prefer to do a combo of #4.5, #5.5, and #7 are to keep the plane blades the same (2 3/8" for all). That way they can buy extra(s) and then sharpen the extras to alternative angles. Can also buy different metal types (such as O-1) and toothing blades.