Dust Collector Filter Bag leak

Pwk5017

I have the 3hp grizzly cyclone unit, but this is applicable to many of the single stage collector owners. I took the plastic bag off the bottom of my pleated filter over the weekend to empty it, clamped the empty bag into position and got back to drum sanding a panel. It wasn't very long until I noticed a slight haze in the air around my bright shop lights. I walked over to the corner with the cyclone, and sure enough I had a little puff of dust exiting a part of the plastic bag/band clamp connection. The bag is a wider diameter than the pleated filter, so I always end up with a fold or pleat in the plastic bag where the band clamp rests. I noticed this on the old single stage collector I had too. I never had an airtight seal at a point where it is critical to have an airtight seal. Is there a trick to reduce leaks at this point? It is such a stupid design.

Secondary question, has anyone retrofitted a grizzly cyclone with a wynn filter stack? I think they provide a drop box for the end of their pleated filters that looks like a much better solution for the problem.

I never understood why Grizzly did this.  I would try to find a bucket or container that is the same diameter as where that bag attaches and use some kind of toggle clamps and a rubber seal.  Or you might be able to build a cap out of MDF and a nice rubber gasket.  Take a look at the clean-out box for clear-vue cyclones to get an idea. I would not so far as to replace the filters if you do not need to.

I never understood why Grizzly did this.  I would try to find a bucket or container that is the same diameter as where that bag attaches and use some kind of toggle clamps and a rubber seal.  Or you might be able to build a cap out of MDF and a nice rubber gasket.  Take a look at the clean-out box for clear-vue cyclones to get an idea. I would not so far as to replace the filters if you do not need to.

I wasn't going to upgrade filters on the spot for the clean out box, but I assume the filter is 6ish months away from the end of its usable life. What is the life expectancy of pleated filters? I used to use the brush attachment every week or so to knock the dust cake off the pleats, and now I blow it out weekly. I use a drum sander a lot, and I imagine that kills the life of the filter. My ambient air cleaner's filter is 1.5 years old and that sucker is looking rough. I should have replaced that one 6 months ago. Glad im not alone in the disappointment in the weak link of the design.

I walked over to the corner with the cyclone, and sure enough I had a little puff of dust exiting a part of the plastic bag/band clamp connection. The bag is a wider diameter than the pleated filter, so I always end up with a fold or pleat in the plastic bag where the band clamp rests. I noticed this on the old single stage collector I had too. I never had an airtight seal at a point where it is critical to have an airtight seal. Is there a trick to reduce leaks at this point? It is such a stupid design.

Get some weatherstripping tape and attach it around the metal sleeve that the bag slides over. When you install the bag and cinch down the band clamp, the compression of the bag over the foam rubber of the weatherstripping tape will create a tight seal, even if you have pleats.