Laguna Jointers

ztifpatrick

Another thread on here got me to thinking about upgrading from my 8 in Grizzly jointer w/ spriral cutter head to a 12". So I was looking at the 12" grizzly because all the rest were way more expensive, then I stumbled across Laguna. They have a 12" in their Platinum Series with a spiral cutter head. Price isn't a million miles away from Grizzly. I know these are made in China, not crazy about that but same would be true of most. Anybody have any experience with Laguna jointers?

I have the Grizzly jointer with the spiral head that you are referring to. I love it. It is a great jointer. Wouldn't give it up not would I go with anything different. It does what i need it to do and I have no complaints about how it does it. As for the Laguna, I have no idea. If you want another shining recommendation for the Griz, talk to Vic. I am sure that he will chime in here any second.

lol..a minute later...Yes, I have the G0609X and yes, it is a sweet jointer. I've run a lot of lumber on it already and still haven't rotated the little square knives. But, I think I'm gonna before my next build which is highly figured hard maple. But, it produces a very good surface. Enough so, that I plan on get the 15" planer w/ spiral head from Griz.

Ha! I too have a Grizzly 12" jointer with spiral cutterheads! It's great! What a workhorse! I spend many hours a week using it and I can't imagine a better machine. I'm sure Laguna makes a good product. I've never used one so I'm not much help there.

By the way - I upgraded to my 12" from a Grizzly 8" with spiral cutterheads.

lol..a minute later...Yes, I have the G0609X and yes, it is a sweet jointer. I've run a lot of lumber on it already and still haven't rotated the little square knives. But, I think I'm gonna before my next build which is highly figured hard maple. But, it produces a very good surface. Enough so, that I plan on get the 15" planer w/ spiral head from Griz.

Hey Vic,

I don't know if you've ever rotated the little square cutters on other machines, but make sure you get all the sawdust and gunk off of them before you re-attach. Also make sure you clean everything out of the cavity before you place the cutters back in. You'll know real quick if you missed one.

I have the Grizzly jointer with the spiral head that you are referring to. I love it. It is a great jointer. Wouldn't give it up not would I go with anything different. It does what i need it to do and I have no complaints about how it does it. As for the Laguna, I have no idea. If you want another shining recommendation for the Griz, talk to Vic. I am sure that he will chime in here any second.

Yes the Grizzly was my first choice, but I'm going to be moving overseas in a couple of years and I want to take my equipment with me. I will need a 220v motor, but with 50Hz. I spoke to Grizzly, they could not help with that issue, but Laguna could and do have 50HZ motors.

An induction motor's speed is tied to the frequency. If the motor is designed to run on 60Hz and you put it on 50Hz, it will run slower. Given the speeds of those knives, it shouldn't be that big of a difference. Worse case, sell the motor here before leaving and buy a new induction motor at your destination.

Yes the Grizzly was my first choice, but I'm going to be moving overseas in a couple of years and I want to take my equipment with me. I will need a 220v motor, but with 50Hz. I spoke to Grizzly, they could not help with that issue, but Laguna could and do have 50HZ motors.

One of the most popular energy efficiency measures I do right now are VFD (Variable Feed Drives) for motors. So, yes, you can run a motor that is designed for a particular load at 60Hz at a lower Hz.

An induction motor's speed is tied to the frequency. If the motor is designed to run on 60Hz and you put it on 50Hz, it will run slower. Given the speeds of those knives, it shouldn't be that big of a difference. Worse case, sell the motor here before leaving and buy a new induction motor at your destination.

Grizzly told me if I run it at 50HZ the insulation around the motor will breakdown at an accelerated rate due to overheating and the motor will fail.

One of the most popular energy efficiency measures I do right now are VFD (Variable Feed Drives) for motors. So, yes, you can run a motor that is designed for a particular load at 60Hz at a lower Hz.

Interesting stuff, never heard of that. Is this a motor or a box that you add to the existing motor? Is it for 3 phase or do you use it on single phase? I'd love to learn more about these, can you recomend a web site or supplier?

With this new part of the equation (moving overseas ... 50 HZ) it sounds like is best to find a machine that can run with that power. Whoever that is, that is who you should take.

Also consider investing in a converter or transformer if they make them for that size machine.

Good luck.

Interesting stuff, never heard of that. Is this a motor or a box that you add to the existing motor? Is it for 3 phase or do you use it on single phase? I'd love to learn more about these, can you recomend a web site or supplier?

Chris, the instances where you would use a vfd are ONLY when you have a variable load. We incentivize their installation on things like screw compressors and belt motors on processing plants and lately a lot of them are going on motors for irrigating, where there are several pivots. Many times one of a multiple configuration of motors will be installed on one of those motors to trim the load. Except maybe on a dust collection in a large industrial shop, I don't see where they would be a benefit for a woodworking shop.

OK, without getting into a full explanation, you will need a transformer that will step down the supply voltage by 80%. Basically, the fan (flywheel) sized for the motor and it's casing will now run too slow also and you risk overheating and damage to the windings over time. The formula is 50Hz/60Hz = 5/6*100 = 80%. For a full explanation see http://www.brighthub.com/engineering/electrical/articles/46495.aspx

I hope that helps. A transformer shouldn't be too hard to find once you're there. You may want to e-shop before you buy and take it overseas.

OK, without getting into a full explanation, you will need a transformer that will step down the supply voltage by 80%. Basically, the fan (flywheel) sized for the motor and it's casing will now run too slow also and you risk overheating and damage to the windings over time. The formula is 50Hz/60Hz = 5/6*100 = 80%. For a full explanation see http://www.brighthub.com/engineering/electrical/articles/46495.aspx

I hope that helps. A transformer shouldn't be too hard to find once you're there. You may want to e-shop before you buy and take it overseas.

Thx I'll check it out!

Had a look. Some good info there I will make use of this. It's great how you can network on sites like this for info, really appreciate it.

Had a look. Some good info there I will make use of this. It's great how you can network on sites like this for info, really appreciate it.

Yea, this place is cool. I helped my engineer open up a plastic bag, so he owed me..lol

I have had nothing but good experience's with any of my Grizzly machines over the years. The customer service is pretty darn good as well.

I bought a Laguna bandsaw last year and it is pretty nice, but when I tried to order some extra parts for it, now almost a year ago, their customer service fell over the deep end. I am still waiting for those parts and now I can not even get them to call me back. I shutter to think if I had a problem with the machine whether or not I would even be able to get any support. I will think long and hard before purchasing from them again.

Good luck