220 outlets

gary-g-k

hi i am currently haveing a power issue in my shop. as of rite now i only have 110 outlets. the main problem is that the braker box is full. we have no more room to add a 220 outlet. and iam trying to get some nicer tools but all the tools that would be upgrades need 220 outlets. is there any way that i can get a 220 out in my shop for theses tools? any sujestions would be nice thanks gary.

Have you already gone to mini breakers? While I don't like them as well as regular breakers, they are a viable way to create space. I have a siemens panel with quite a few breaker spaces. I also have a LOT of mini breakers.

They make single-space two-pole breakers that would allow two existing breakers to be replaced with a single new breaker. An electrician could replace several of your existing breakers with these and free up space for a new 220v circuit. Have someone come out to give you a quote and they'll tell you what your options are. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Rory

As the posters have suggested, tandem (mini, half-size) breakers may be an option to get more space in the panel, however not all panels can support these. You need to check the panel label to see if tandem breaker models are approved for use in your panel. A quick way to tell with most brands is to look at the model number or description of the panel. It should list a number of slots and a number of circuits; common configurations are 20/20, 30/30, 20/40, 30/40, 40/40, etc.

A panel which has the allowed circuits and slots equal cannot accept tandem breakers. A panel which supports more circuits than slots allows a limited number of tandems. For example 30 slots and 40 circuits would allow up to 10 tandem breakers, usually only in the bottom slots. Some panels such as a 20/40 allow tandems in every slot. You can usually get this information out of the panel model number. A Siemens panel number might be G3040B1200CU : 30 slots, 40 circuits, main breaker, single phase, 200A, copper bus. That implies this panel can accept up to 10 tandem breakers.

If your panel cannot accept tandems, the next best option is to install a subpanel which would allow plenty of room for expansion. If your shop is in a separate building from the main panel, then adding a subpanel is the only legal option. If you are installing some very power hungry tools (mostly metalworking like a welder, plasma, or CNC) you could need a service upgrade in addition to more slots which means you would need an electrician to replace the entire main panel and service entrance up to the power company connection.

I would do a subpanel all the way i love having a separate panel in my work area for my tools. My shops outlets and lights are all controlled by my subpanel. By having a subpanel you can turn off the source of the power when you are done in the shop and know that there is no power going to any of these tools.

no a sub will usually and correct me if i am wrong this is how mine was set up. The sub usually as a main breaker in the primary panel my old shop was a little different but not sure why that is why i hire people but the old one was direct line from the main box not the main breaker box but the line that your main box connects to. I hate trying to talk electrical its not my thing. either way i would call around and see if someone could come by and look at your setup to see what options are available to you. Most of the time they do a free eval or something like that.

Why is that? Don't you just pull two breakers from main and run those circuits from the sub?

In order to power a "sub" panel, you have to have room both electrically and spatially to put a main breaker for the sub panel in the main panel. Does that make sense? The main breaker for the sub panel at my old house was just a 60amp (220 60amp breaker). It was approximately 50 feet to the detached garage and I had to run 6 gauge wire in conduit, buried 3 feet deep. I got the specs from a buddy who is an electrician and I did all the work.

In my current set up. I have a 320 meter, which allows a 200 amp service to the house and a 200 amp service to the shop.

• 1 month later...