Project Assistance Question

CraftyLady

Hello fellow woody's :-D (Woody's = my term for fellow people that enjoy working with wood):-D

I wanted to make my husband a mini ferris wheel with pictures on the end where the seats should go. I want it to be able to spin by itself with a flip of a small switch. I've already figured in my head how to construct it but I need help trying to figure out what kind of motor to use for the turning mechanism. I've read you can use a watch battery but I want it to be a smooth continuous turn. Then I read a microwave motor. True enough its small but its not small enough. Do you guys have any ideas? Thanks for your help :-D

If you live in a large area a hobby store might have what your after. You'll need one that sells robotics for cars, trains or airplanes. Or you can search ebay most of the time they are listed underneath servos. You'll may need to contact the seller to get exactly what you need. I bought some off of ebay that rotate 180 degrees they are about 1" by 1/2" that run off remote. I'm sure you can get that just run off switch and battery though.

Go to the local goodwill or similar store, buy a VCR. Remove the motors from it. Most will run for a good while on a very small battery, or a 3 v output charger unit. All of them can be regulated with a small potentiometer from Radio Shack. I built a water mill for under the Christmas tree using this type motor.