How small do you go before ignoring movement?

TheFatBaron

I'm going to make a couple small boxes - about 3 x 3.25 x 7.5", based off the patten of an existing box. The existing box is solid wood that's been glued together, similar to the construction in this wonderful post (though not nearly as nice): 

How big do you guys go before worrying about movement? I'm probably going to float the bottom/top panels and do finger joints or dovetails on the corners, so this question is mostly academic.

I made some 3" cubes with a sliding lid out of poplar.  I oriented the grain of the lid so it was across the opening because it was easier to cut the rabbet on the sides with the grain and why worry about movement?  It's only 3" wide.  Made in the winter.  Impossible to open in the summer.  

I've made them as large as 7" with floating bottoms and (knock on wood) haven't

had any problems.

I have also made this box several years ago and it is only glued at the mitered corners and bottom. it is 8" square at the top.

IMG_1470_zpsca1cf8d9.jpg

So far so good! It holds candy for the grandkids.

You might also consider this one. It is one solid piece of walnut that is 5" x 7-1/2" and 2-1/2" tall with a sliding lid.

SecretBox002_zpsac86a317.jpg