Citristrip stained my table!

Dtxdude125

I've been looking on here to see if anyone has the same problem and it looks like they haven't. 

I bought this old mid century coffee table which I believe is walnut and sanded a lot of it down the other day. I decided to use citristrip to try and get the rest of the varnish off and make it easier and it has now stained my table! It won't come off at all and almost looks like I added a varnish... I've tried using denatured alcohol and mineral spirits to get it off but it won't work, please help!!

• 3 years later...

Hi - am having the same problem. I used citristrip first on the flat surface of a round oak coffee table I am working on to strip it. It did a fair job but left some more tenacious bits around the edges. I then applied it to only the edges of the table. On the second time applying it to the edges, it stained the wood. I have tried mineral spirits and KleanStrip but it’s not removing the stain. 
OP - Were you ever able to get the stain out? 
TIA. 

0AA3692C-C8EF-43A9-B4A2-8BDDB6ACEAAE.jpeg

Have you tried the stripper itself? As I recall, it comes as a gel and is supposed to be kept from drying. Maybe test a small area with fresh stripper? Also, that does not look like veneer. I’d be tempted to see what light sanding achieved before trying a ton of other chemicals. Not arguing with the post above. Just suggesting a thing or two to try if their tech support is not helpful. 

It is not uncommon for porous materials like wood to react that way. Doesn't matter if the applied material is stain, paint, or stripper. The area that has had two applications is going to appear different. Sanding to a fresh surface is probably the fastest remedy, but you might also try repeated applications of the Citristrip to the entire surface, and using a nylon scrup brush to work the material evenly along the grain, until the color is uniform.

• 1 year later...

I bought an antique twin bed frame and it had a dark stain and varnish over it, I applied such a strip use a scraper but it only took off a small layer of the varnish after three applications it looked the exact same and so I tried to use mineral spirits with some fine steel wool and that seemed to takeoff the shiny varnish coat but there is still a dark stain on the wood, I applied Another round of citristrip And this time it barely took off any color and instead stand my word a dark orange reddish tone and it looks like it has another layer of varnish on it again, I’m devastated! I was going for a light colored raw-would look. How do I remove the red tone and citristrip stain?  Help!