Setting up shop...

WizardJ

I'm currently starting to set up some basics in my shed/shop and right now it doesn't have power due to the lines being pulled down during an ice storm a couple years ago, so I have a 100ft extension cord ran out there and have 3 shop lights and a small 2 gallon air compressor hooked up. (Also have a table saw but haven't used it yet) but the lights flicker each time the compressor kicks on and I'm a little worried I may have too much going off one outlet and haven't even began to use my saw yet. Is the light flicker common? should I do something different? any tips/advice?

Thanks

Jason

I am guessing the extension cord is 16 gauge which is rated for 13 Amps the compressor is probably maxing that out most of the compressors I have used draw 15amp to start then drop is why the lights are dipping the cord isn't providing enough amps to run the lights and the compressor when it first kicks on.

Light Fixtures, Lamps, Lighting Runs generally on 15 Amps which requires 14 Gauge.

If you plan on using more than one thing at a time safely without risk of drawing to many amps I would suggest at least a 20 Amps 12 Gauge which can safely run Receptacles, 110-volt Air Conditioners, Sump Pumps, Kitchen Appliances etc.

air compressors are not supposed to be run off of power cords. your manual should tell you that. it will tell you to plug directly into an outlet and if you need to, just add another air hose to the one you have.

Just about every manual I have ever read as said to not use an extension chord... on anything!!

Just about every manual I have ever read as said to not use an extension chord... on anything!!

Agree almost everything i have ever bought says this. But yet they tell you to use surge protection. imo that is a form of an extension cord YES? Either way run a line out there burry it in the ground not hanging to avoid ice storms again.

Eventually you are going to have to run power to your shop. I'd suggest that you hire an electrician to run an 80 or 100 amp 220v line and terminate it in a panel in your shop. You can then run a few temporary circuits off the panel while you do your construction work. As you install the permanent circuits, you can connect them to the panel and have lots of power for you lighting and tools.

I appreciate the initial cost, but you are going to have to do it eventually, so why not "bite the bullet" and "pull the trigger" now?