Online Gaming

khill

I know Marc plays some online games from his fan links and his comments about a WoW character. I was curious how many others out there are gamers and woodworkers.

I've been playing online games since UO, only been woodworking for about a year now.

+1, although I haven't been playing much online in the past 2 years as online fighting is not the best educational thing to show toddlers, and once everyone asleep - well, the shooting and online talk kinda wakes them up, so I've been playing solo campaigns mostly.

I've been beta testing MMOs since Earth Above and Beyond. I beta'd Star Wars Galaxies and played it for quite awhile. My wife played too. Beta'd Ryzom and it was ok, never played it after that though... I beta'd WoW and played it for a long time until I realized it was a glorified chatroom and a simple button masher. My wife played it a lot with me too. I think we both gained 10 lbs sitting on our butt in front of the computer playing that stupid game. Currently I play Star Trek Online. Only been playing it seriously for a few months.... Its pretty cool. I'm a nerd so naturally anything with Star Trek I must take part in... :) Beta'd Eve Online but that was too complex and required way more time than I was willing to dedicate to it.

My big thing is FPS games. My friends and I are currently on Battlefield Bad Company 2 and play religiously (its become an addiction...). We use a Ventrilo server and pay for our own BC2 server to play on. We're all PC because console controllers suck for FPS and their built in aimbots are lame. :)

Back in the day it was all about MUDs and L.O.R.D. and Tradewars and Arena on BBSs :D Those were the days... damn kids today with all their newfangled graphics and surround sound.... :)

I play LOTRO almost exclusively at the moment. Haven't been a big fan of how much farming one has to do in WoW. Just IMO.

Its free now isn't it? I played it for awhile but I just can't get over these games where you have to grind out levels doing mundane tasks for hours on end before you are able to do anything that resembled fun. If I wanted an assembly line job I'd go get one and at least the money would flow in my direction instead of away... :)

Bring me 15 bundles of berries... Thanks! Now go get me 35 hobbit toes... Thanks! Now deliver these to Gooberson and then bring me back 45 bundles of berries.... ad infinitum :D

I know Marc plays some online games from his fan links and his comments about a WoW character. I was curious how many others out there are gamers and woodworkers.

I've been playing online games since UO, only been woodworking for about a year now.

WoW takes waaaaaay too much regularly-scheduled time, and has cost me friends who never, ever want to do anything else for a year or two.

The same friends wonder "how'd you get so skilled at woodworking", and the easy answer is "I did something productive with that 30 hours a week of free time". :-)

That said, StarCraft 2? Yes.

Yeah I'm still working through the Campaign for StarCraft 2. I'm really enjoying the campaign, I get destroyed in multi-player though. I played WoW for about 3 years, I played EQ2 for awhile before that(that was the first game I worked on). Recently I've mostly been playing Modern Warfare 2and other FPS games. I'm either gaming or working wood in the garage these days, more so trying to spend my time in the garage.

Marc if your interested in info on DCUO check out http://www.dcuosource.com/, its a fan page that has collected a lot of the information about the game all though you do have to wade through the fanboys. You can also check out the official pages. And in the interest of not being a shill, I'm the Lead Content designer on DCUO, but that's all I'm going to say about that.

Its free now isn't it? I played it for awhile but I just can't get over these games where you have to grind out levels doing mundane tasks for hours on end before you are able to do anything that resembled fun. If I wanted an assembly line job I'd go get one and at least the money would flow in my direction instead of away... :)

Bring me 15 bundles of berries... Thanks! Now go get me 35 hobbit toes... Thanks! Now deliver these to Gooberson and then bring me back 45 bundles of berries.... ad infinitum :D

It is free now, yes, but there is also a premium service. For those that were paying, they're automatically entered into premium.

You're right about the production line questing, but it's really filler between storyline events and really is only predominant in the early levels. NPC's are lazy! One thing that's cool is the epic quest story line which is linked to the whole LOTR trilogy. That and exploring middle earth is cool too. I'm such a geek (and quite proud of it too!)!

It is free now, yes, but there is also a premium service. For those that were paying, they're automatically entered into premium.

You're right about the production line questing, but it's really filler between storyline events and really is only predominant in the early levels. NPC's are lazy! One thing that's cool is the epic quest story line which is linked to the whole LOTR trilogy. That and exploring middle earth is cool too. I'm such a geek (and quite proud of it too!)!

DDO went free to play awhile ago as well. I have a feeling a lot of games are going to start going Freemium rather then the subscription model soon.

DDO went free to play awhile ago as well. I have a feeling a lot of games are going to start going Freemium rather then the subscription model soon.

I played DDO for a little while. I didn't like how it was nearly impossible to solo anything except the beginner quests. I had to try it though, I still play pen and paper D&D :D

I played DDO for a little while. I didn't like how it was nearly impossible to solo anything except the beginner quests. I had to try it though, I still play pen and paper D&D :D

I still play every week as well. Also if you have any interest in DDO still they have made it very solo friendly. My wife and I started playing it again and have been doing quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, <facepalm> after 6 lvl 80's in Wow, I must say I still sign on everynight for a bit to see whats new. I usually raid once or twice a week and thats about it. Nothing else to do until the expansion comes out.

I have however been watching Diablo3, nvr played the regular diablo, but it looks kind of fun. Winter is coming though, which means more shop time and less outside/WoW time.

I have to admit, going from a joystick with one red button to seeing whats out there now is kinda interesting. I remember when I was all excited my Commodore 64 got 4 colors...FOUR!!!

Played a lot of Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare, but 2 weeks ago uninstalled it because it's a huge time waster. Lost 10 days in that game. 10 day's of playtime. Before COD4 played Urban Terror. And that's it. No more games for now. It's better to learn sketch up :D

• 3 weeks later...

I played EQ so much my wife almost staged an intervention :) . But I could solo stuff that most groups could not take on. Then I started two boxing a wizard and a necro and things got really good. MY dps was off the charts, yes I am a nerd. But now I am totally off MMORPGS and focus solely on woodworking. I am not sure if it is a better use of my time, but every now and then my wife gets some G&G furniture, so she is certainly happier with the present arrangement.

I'm a huge Halo fan, stood in line just last night for the new game Halo Reach. I'm taking a break from playing it right now. But I also play Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty World at War. I guess I'm one of the blood guts and gore type gamers. :D

I am also a big Halo fan but not big enough to wait in line. I am strictly a console guy these days and I love me some NCAA football. I have tried to play WoW but I eventually get sick of killing pigs. I need instant gratification!

Sadly I don't have much time anymore to play online games. When I do play them I often spend too much time on that instead of doing something productive, so nowadays I try to avoid games like WoW.

I sometimes get these times I spend a few hours a day playing Diablo 2. I have this game since it came out and it still rocks. Borderlands was also a big success, but it's only fun when playing this game together from start to finish.

Most of the gaming done here is on my Xbox 360 now, just some offline games and I'm also still waiting for Diablo 3, Gothic 4, Thief 4 and Battlefield 3.

I also like arcade games a lot, especially for the Neo-Geo, so building an arcade cabinet will also be a future project. :D

My big thing is FPS games. My friends and I are currently on Battlefield Bad Company 2 and play religiously (its become an addiction...). We use a Ventrilo server and pay for our own BC2 server to play on. We're all PC because console controllers suck for FPS and their built in aimbots are lame. :)

So did you ever play Battlefield:1942? I just happen to have done a little mod called Battlefield:Pirates B)

Guest Mahoganus

So did you ever play Battlefield:1942? I just happen to have done a little mod called Battlefield:Pirates B)

Im a big PC Battlefield fan . I own them all 1942,BFV,BF2,BF2142,BC2

Battlefield Pirates sounds interesting.