Walnut top for a kegerator -- finish and warping worries

Cannikin

So a friend is building a kegerator for his office. Something like this:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=kegerator&num=10&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&resnum=3&biw=1411&bih=989&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4615780656065137098&sa=X&ei=zucLTb_dLMOAlAfwl8nBCw&ved=0CG8Q8gIwAA#

But in a large freezer with a hinged lid instead:

http://img.skitch.com/20101216-c38shyn1fxun1sgi6rkn7fx5bh.jpg

We're gonna replace the lid with a nice walnut one. I have two worries:

1. The finish. He doesn't plan on leaving standing water on it for long periods of time, but beer will get on it from time to time.

2. Warping issues. The bottom of the lid will be in a cold, dry environment and the top will be in the open air.

I really don't want to put a cheapo, thick, glossy bar finish on the thing just to protect it from water. I'm thinking an oil/varnish mix (5-6 coats) with a couple coats of paste wax. And encourage him not to leave water laying around too long. :)

As for the warping, I'm not too sure. It's going to be fairly thick -- 1.25" to 1.5" Is that thick enough to resist the majority of cupping that's going to want to happen? The office is up in San Francisco so it's going to tend to be pretty damp outside. Should I maybe add some breadboards to help keep everything in line? Or will the center just end up forming a little dome while the outside edges stay flat?

It looks like it's going to be a glueup of three boards to get the total depth we need (about 27"). I plan on going with Titebond III for waterproofness. Any other advice? Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Have you thought about maybe boxing the freezer lid over with the walnut and some trim. If you took off the plastic handle piece you can slip fit the walnut bar top on and off as needed. Or just fit it so the freezer can still open with the walnut attached. This way the freezer/kegerator stays intact and you wont have any insulation/condensation issues at all. I assume you'll be drilling a hole through the top for the tap head.