open end drum sanders

bigarm

I am thinking of getting one.  Which ones do you have experience with?  The Supermax 19-38 gets good reviews, but tends to be the most expensive.  The Grizzley is much cheaper, but not great reviews.  I don't know about others.  Let me know your thoughts.

Hi Bigarm.  There are lots of reviews and comments here about drum sanders.  I hope you take advantage of the 'search' function.

As for prices - yes, the grizzly is a lot less expensive (900-ish) than the Supermax (about 1500), but both are less than the PM 22-44 sander (about 2500).  Jet has the 1632 model for around 1200 (although, many models go up or down in price depending on the motor HP and other items like stand, etc).

it might be helpful to know what you're going to use it for and what the key factors are - price?  reliability? adjustability?

I have the original 16/32 Peformax that was made in the USA. The model made by Jet hasn't gotten near the reviews that the original did. Supermax is made by the folks that owned Peformax . I will be getting a 19/38 Supermax in the near future. Maybe the Powermatic if I can swing the $$$

When using a drum sander there are so many little things that can become annoying. The feed belt has to track well and not slip, the abrasive has to wrap and stay put , quality of dust collection, ease of adjustment for parallel , ability to stay parallel once adjusted. There is also a learning curve to operate one. The less hassles with the machine the quicker you can catch on to what you are doing wrong . Things like trying to take too much off with too fine a grit at too high speed will cause burns. If the abrasive slips it can overlap and this causes burns as well. Save up and buy a better machine, it will hold its resale value better as well.

• Like 2

I have to agree with wdwerker on this. Save the little bit extra and go with the supermax at the least. If you consider the difference in price the supermax is only about 35% more than the grizzly. I do not have experience with the grizzly, but I can say the supermax is a fine machine that does have some flaws, but nothing that cannot be corrected with some experience and setup. I have heard some pretty rough reviews of the grizzly, but have also heard of some people loving it. Bottom line is I would go with quality in the case of a drum sander and I think supermax wins this one.

I thought I posted this before so if it is a repeat, please ignore.

I think you have answered your own question. This is an area where you do get what you pay for.  In my research I looked at stability and consistency of thicknesses, ease of paper changes and customer service.

The Supermax 19-38 won out.  The weak factor is the stand; it provides no storage and I cannot tolerate that in my small shop.  A drum sander takes up a serious foot print so I had to ditch a cabinet to make room for it.  To get back the storage I built this:

19-38-stand(25).jpg

19-38-stand(24).jpg

Dust collection is great with a moderate DC (2HP cyclone), paper changes take about 2 minutes although folks with large hands may have trouble getting a hold of the spring loaded catch at the motor end.  Its quiet, smooth running, easy to adjust and stays in adjustment.  I would recommend it to a friend.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Nice cabinet ! 

What Steve said.

On April 2, 2016 at 8:48 AM, bigarm said:

The Supermax 19-38 gets good reviews, but tends to be the most expensive.

I think you will find out that this is close to the most popular drum sander on this forum.  It's the one I have.  And I think this is a buy once cry once tool, it will last you a loooong time.  Everything gee-dub said is pretty accurate - I have a slightly smaller DC then he mentioned and I am still happy with the results.

If I had it to do over again I would no way in hell ever buy the Griz G0458 drum sander. It is a gigantic PITA. I am going to sell it someday soon and cancel the order  for the jointer I have with them. I won't even consider in the future another Griz product period. I've had it with that damn machine. So hopefully that was helpful to you to make your decision. :D

On 4/3/2016 at 0:36 PM, wdwerker said:

Nice cabinet ! 

Consider the idea stolen. I have been planning on replacing my original 16/32 stand.

Then I guess I should show the back ;-)

19-38-stand(12).jpg

I keep my grits in old shave cream caps with the grit written on it.  the empty one reminds me what is on the machine.

19-38-stand(14).jpg

• Like 2

• 5 years later...