Edge, wedge and a ten pound sledge

Bombarde16

Found a downed cherry tree at one of the local disc golf courses and I just couldn't help myself.

I used a chainsaw to get the trunk into four foot lengths. From there, it was a pair of 4# cone splitters plus a quartet of homemade gluts to get things quartered. Each quarter was about as much as I could lift for the seventy yard uphill hike back to my poor little compact.

All I want for Christmas is a WoodMizer and a full size truck. Painted the ends and stacked the billets in the basement for now. Estimating enough for the legs and frame of a huntboard, though that sort of project would need a special piece for the top.

There's still more wood out there and I may end up going back for another round. Certainly didn't need to go to the gym today.

80935620c71f8a95194c1a39041648b2.jpg

0ba34c47dd23f07992ff5c0f2aa5761a.jpg

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Even freshly split, the color of the heartwood is striking. The portion of the trunk that snapped is already a deep, deep red color. Fun stuff.afd2c601421963bcbd2c7639819b88a1.jpg

• Like 1

Had a free morning so I went back for more. The tree had a crotch about five feet up. One side snapped off and then the whole thing fell. There was still another four or five feet left above the crotch but the entire weight of the crotch was bearing down on it. Used the jack from my spare tire to get it off the ground.

11a485917336e39b805fcea96f0f405a.jpg

That done, my saw had just enough juice to crosscut two 2' lengths.

d50ad8b28f90827136e7802cfe2941ad.jpg

With that, it's hammer time.

c7d56f5827fcc97e853383d89577be80.jpg

After that, I got greedy and tried to split one of the longer sections higher up on the trunk. No deal. The split wandered into a spiral and refused to finish out. Shattered my gluts trying to force the issue. Left it for now. The split is mostly true for the first 4', so worst case scenario is that I can cut and claim those bits later.

f3b197441853740ac96b193455bd309f.jpg6959429a0ad75bbe6e4fa8697fc0ccde.jpg

Your local disc golf course lets you come in and run a chainsaw? If I did that around here I would have some idiot telling me I am ruining the environment by doing that and I live in a small town in Tennessee. 

It's outside of town a ways and it's completely empty this week. Something about rain seems to discourage disc golfers. The saw in question is a little battery powered toy by Kobalt. Barely has enough juice for two cuts in a log this size, but it has the advantage of being almost silent.

On 5/2/2016 at 4:59 PM, midtnwoodworker said:

Your local disc golf course lets you come in and run a chainsaw? If I did that around here I would have some idiot telling me I am ruining the environment by doing that and I live in a small town in Tennessee. 

Well, when ya have a name like Bombarde, who's gonna mess with ya. :D 

-Ace-

That's wanting some crotch pretty darn bad!

Cute. In all seriousness, the crotch for this tree looks like it would have been useful. No signs of rot or water coming in from above. Unfortunately, everything below the crotch had shredded itself when the base of the tree shattered.