Why are zero clearance inserts so thick

toneslinger

I have a delta contractor two table saw. It still has the original metal insert. I've been looking to replace it with a zero clearance insert. I measured the depth of the recess on the saw top which is approx 1/8". However, almost all the zero clearance inserts I've seen seem to be 1/4"+. Is this normal? Am I gonna have to route the lip for the recess to accommodate the thickness of the insert?

If that's the case, would it be better to just build my own?

I've seen ZCI's for delta contractor saws they seem to be thicker than my saw as well.

What am I missing?

I have a delta contractor two table saw. It still has the original metal insert. I've been looking to replace it with a zero clearance insert. I measured the depth of the recess on the saw top which is approx 1/8". However, almost all the zero clearance inserts I've seen seem to be 1/4"+. Is this normal? Am I gonna have to route the lip for the recess to accommodate the thickness of the insert?

If that's the case, would it be better to just build my own?

I've seen ZCI's for delta contractor saws they seem to be thicker than my saw as well.

What am I missing?

My buddy has one of those older Delta contractor saws and he had the same problem finding ZCIs. Yes, your best option is to make your own.

I agree about making your own, it is quick, easy and since you can make a bunch in one sitting you will have them for normal use as well as normal dado sizes and a molding head if you use one. I do have one ZCI that I bought but only because it was on clearance. No matter if you make or buy them using one is one of the best things you can do for the quality off your cuts as well as your saftey.

Nate

i have a delta saw too that has a thin metal plate. the reason most are so thick is that most other saws have thick inserts reguardless of material. a few saws over the years have been made with thin inserts. if i ever get time to get back into the shop i plan on trying to make some with hardboard and something to make it more rigid without being hindered by the way its set up.

Charles Neil has some custom ZCI plate for Delta as well as SawStop. I think he has a clever idea that you could likely use as a starting point with your existing metal insert. Now, as much as I like Charles, I'm not sure about the pricing on this one, but I suggest it for the idea: Charles Neil ZCI for Delta

So you use the metal insert with a long slot cut out with dovetail sides. You can easily batch out dozens of wooden inserts that fit the dovetail slot: they are just bevel-ripped strips. You still have the strength of the metal frame and not some very thin rabbetted edge holding a wooden insert in place. I'm planning on using his idea for my dado insert for SawStop.

BTW, he has a pretty good sale you can find off that link... DVDs, guild memberships, etc.