Issue with my project

Pbmaster11

Okay so first of all I believe this topic goes in this section. Please move if I am wrong.

Second, I am building a Tansu designed piece of furniture for my dad. The "cabinets" have sliding doors instead of open and closing them. The plan required 2 dado's in the appropriate spot for the doors. I plan on using plywood veneer for this project but encounters a problem. Those dados would reveal the core. Any suggestions?

Attached is file of the project. Please keep in mind this is a bottom section of the project.

The green doors are the ones that slide. There is a 3/4"x 1/4" deep dado in the bottom and top to allow for the doors to slide. My question is how can I complete this project using veneer.

Please Help!

Upload.skp

My first preference would be iSawitFirst's first idea: use hardwood in the track and put the dados in the hardwood. It would wear a lot better, too. Since the doors are near the edge, you could also just do a wider "banding" on the front edge of the ply with the dados in it; that also solves hiding the plys from the front.

I really like AJ's idea of making a dado in the edge of the doors, then using a small track for the doors to slide on. Say a 1/4" by 1/4" strip of hardwood.

Alternately, how about skipping the dados completely and simply using applied moldings to act as stops? Three strips on the top and bottom and you have built up a recess in which the doors can slide.

I agree with the postings above. It would be best to use a piece of hardwood as your track system. I thought about the edge banding but its hard to keep it secured with the door going back and forth. You can always use a bandsaw and cut a thin hardwood veneer strip to cover the edges. Just glue and pin nail. Hope this helps :D