Idea shop 6 and Rolling plywood cart material

d0n_Benit0

Hello all,

I've been building up my shop using some of the recommendations from the idea shop 6 from wood magazine and was wondering what y'all thought about that series. I personally had some of the stuff they recommend getting but am very glad that this came around to give me some tips and ideas on what I still need. I think it has helped me quite bit (even if I'm leaning towards being more hand tool oriented)!

That being said, I've reached a point that I need lumber and sheet good storage. I am thinking of making the sheet good storage from wood magazine, the same one that Jay Bates built. My question to the forum is: what materials I could get away with to lower cost? I was thinking maybe using osb but I just don't know enough about sheet goods to make an informed decision. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Ballin' on a budget,

- Benito Ramos 

I can't think of a single instance where I've thought about using OSB in a furniture application.

As for storage, I only purchase and bring in what I'm going to use right away.  If I had the space and wanted to maintain a supply on hand, I would build some sort of vertical rack to store it.

• Like 1

Do you mean using OSB for building a sheet goods storage system? That's what I used & it works well, is cheap & strong enough.

I don't keep a stock of sheet goods, but there are always off cuts left over, sometimes nearly full sheets. So I do have vertical racks with a space that'll hold a couple of full sheets & smaller spaces for off cuts.

@TIODS I think he means can he build the storage cart/rack out of OSB. If so, I'm sure OSB would be ine to protect against racking forces, they use it to hold framed walls together during construction.  (Assuming you're using some softwood lumber to build a frame of some kind).

Mind embedding or linking to a picture of what you're trying to build?

Yes, I meant building just the storage cart for the plywood. I don't have a link for the plans but I think Jay bates based his off of the same plans from wood magazine.

http://jayscustomcreations.com/2015/06/rolling-plywood-cart/

The cart has a lumber frame and then plywood panels to act as bins and hold the sheet goods.