Undermount Sink in a butcherblock countertop

jbstudio

Hello All,

I have nearly completed an edge grain butchblock countertop of 2" thick hard maple 8' long by 2' wide. It is be the kitchen sink counter with an undermount stainless steel sink. I gave no thoughts to this before I started in on the project, I am still a beginner, but after looking for advice on cutting the template for the sink hole I found several forum posts, from other woodworking forums, that strongly advised against using wood in a kitchen, except for an island where no water would touch it. I know that I have seen posts of wooden counters with the sink happily sitting next to the wood. It can be done. But is it a good idea? I don't want to make a beautiful countertop only to have it fall apart within a number of years nor burden my client with monthly maintenance. I am planning on using a salad bowl finish as the finish, mainly because it is food safe and has a faster curing time than mineral oil. Will this seal the end grain that will surround the sink enough to prevent water damage? I've also looked into Good Stuff from the Maple Block Company, but I don't know much about it. Does anyone have any reviews? Other advice I've gotten said to put a clear penetrating epoxy sealer around the sink wood to seal it up. Is this enough to protect the wood? I don't understand why some people are so afraid of using wood as a kitchen counter. Yes, certain precautions must be made and a certain understanding that wood and water do not get along must be had, but is it really that bad? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, good or bad. I'm getting a little desparate. I thought the hardest part of the project was going to be cutting the sink hole, boy was I wrong.

I suggest you use CA glue on the end grain at the sink with a coat of finish over it. I also suggest that you finish the top and all edges before the backsplash is applied so the top is sealed under the backsplash. If the backsplash is tile you can get a good caulk joint there. If its wood, put two or three thin lines of caulk on the top under the backsplash to stop water from being trapped between the splash and top.