sketchup on chrome?

Eric.

Chrome the internet browser or Chrome the operating system?

Assuming the browser, https://my.sketchup.com/ It appears to be in beta right now.

Assuming the OS, SketchUp is for x86 type systems (Intel/AMD processors). If you have an Intel-based Chromebook, I've heard you can run it on WINE: http://www.howtogeek.com/173353/how-to-run-windows-software-on-a-chromebook/ If you can get Ubuntu on your Chromebook, you can try: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2014/06/install-google-sketchup-ubuntu1404/

-E

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lester Burnham said:

I've gotten a few emulators, Diablo 2 and Morrowind to run in WINE. But that was a long while ago. Sketchup always gave me troubles. My solution is dual booting. I lost nerd status.

Yeah, nerd status is hard to maintain, one needs to be on top of the wave all the time. With woodworking I can take my time and go fishing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

@Eric. Stop, slow down. Elroy gave you the correct answer in his first line. Go to

https://my.sketchup.com

Enter your email address, they'll sign you up for the beta later that day via an email... I'm using it now on my chrome book, works great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oh, that link wasn't there before. Seems promising!

14 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

@Eric. Stop, slow down. Elroy gave you the correct answer in his first line. Go to

https://my.sketchup.com

Enter your email address, they'll sign you up for the beta later that day via an email... I'm using it now on my chrome book, works great.

Okay.  The whole "invite" thing seems weird to me but I did it anyway.  Why the "invite?"  Why not just offer the damn download?

32 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Get some paper and a pencil, or a mac or a cheap  windoze laptop

I've been using paper and pencil my whole life...time to step up my game if it's not too challenging for this computerly stoopid middle-aged-man.

Macs are way too expensive.

I have a windoze laptop but it stays in my shop.  My chromebook is my traveler and the only one that I'd have with me when I have the time to play with sketchup.

I'm out of breath after that.  And you're asleep from boredom.

1 hour ago, Immortan D said:

I sent a request too.

Eric, there is not going to be a download. It's a cloud version, you will be able to run it right from your browser.

I think they are just giving themselves the chance to track how you use it a bit, since they are limiting use to people who they've "invited." This way if the program crashes, the crash report might actually have some useful info about what to fix. Maybe. Somehow, they're using the invite process to gather info before they end the beta and go live with a full release. 

I've only spent a few minutes with this beta version but as far as I can tell, it has all the features I've used in the past and it works well.

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

All you IT dorks need to brace yourself for a barrage of stupid questions.

I'll help if I can. Not an expert, but I've drawn a few things over the years and I'm getting used to the chromebook version now.

If someone can make Sketchup run in Chrome OS, they can, by George, make a version for Linux. It is just rediculous how poorly it performs under Wine, or in a VM.

It's not really made for chrome OS, it's a web app that runs in the browser. So it should work just fine in Linux... But they are clearly building this bc they realized the application is simple enough and it's silly to maintain 4 different code bases for 4 different OSes.

It's not really made for chrome OS, it's a web app that runs in the browser. So it should work just fine in Linux... But they are clearly building this bc they realized the application is simple enough and it's silly to maintain 4 different code bases for 4 different OSes.

I'll have to check it out. Do these web apps allow you to work "outside the cloud"?

Unsurprisingly, the beta app won't load while you're offline.  However, it did seem fine for continuing to work if you go offline with a sketch already open. I was able to continue editing that sketch and download it, but the save feature didn't seems to be working.  It is a beta after all, though. Perhaps we can all give feedback on this to the sketchup team.