Do you have a woodworking/shop new year resolution

Hello all my woodworking friends and happy new year! along with the new year comes new year resolutions. just wondering if anyone besides myself has set any? Mine is to start a decent clamp collection. ive got most of the basic tools like tablesaw, mitersaw, bandsaw, jointer, so on and so on, but for some reason i could never justify in my mind $40-$50 for one clamp! well i guess this is the year to "pony up" (please forgive the Jorgey pun). i ordered 4 jet parallel clamps to start me off (thank you Christmas money!), and ill try to pick up 1 or 2 a month and by this time next year have a pretty good collection. thats enought about my resolution, lets see yours!

thanks

john

A few things. Bought a DeWalt TrackSaw system over the holidays and need to get a few things done in order to use it. First is to re-do my garage to make more working space. Need to build a panel cutting set-up, a workbench, miter saw and router tables. So hopefully I'll be building something by March. ;)

Of course I need more clamps too.

Mine is to spend the first part of the year, making little stuff that i already have the tools for. During that time I'm going to save so I can but a the jet bench-top oscillating spindle sander and a good 17" bandsaw so I can finally start doing work with curves.

Mine is to spend the first part of the year, making little stuff that i already have the tools for. During that time I'm going to save so I can but a the jet bench-top oscillating spindle sander and a good 17" bandsaw so I can finally start doing work with curves.

+1----Actually buying a Osillating Spindle Sander tomorrow so I can get better results with Band Saw boxes and other curved pieces that I work on instead of relying on using the drill press sanding drums..

Clamps? Have to buy more of those also,never seem to have enough... :o

Scott

Hello all my woodworking friends and happy new year! along with the new year comes new year resolutions. just wondering if anyone besides myself has set any? Mine is to start a decent clamp collection. ive got most of the basic tools like tablesaw, mitersaw, bandsaw, jointer, so on and so on, but for some reason i could never justify in my mind $40-$50 for one clamp! well i guess this is the year to "pony up" (please forgive the Jorgey pun). i ordered 4 jet parallel clamps to start me off (thank you Christmas money!), and ill try to pick up 1 or 2 a month and by this time next year have a pretty good collection. thats enought about my resolution, lets see yours!

thanks

john

you ccould try pipe clamps, they are much cheaper

Mine is to finish all of the projects that I have started, but lost steam on this past year.

I have two gun stocks that are inletted but not shaped, and a maple bible stand that I need to complete.

I also have a pulpit that will get started in the next week or two and a hope chest for my soon to be 12 y.o. daughter. That should keep me occupied for a bit, at least for the next 3-4 months.

If you live in an area that has Menards, watch the sales fliers. Every other month or so they have Jorgensen parallel clamps on sale for $10 - $20 off depending on size.

Thank you for the tip Dan S..Unfortunately there is no Menards around here in S.Texas,there is not much of anything really,lol,Just 2 big box stores...Going to look at Menards online store to see what I can find...

Scott

Thank you for the tip Dan S..Unfortunately there is no Menards around here in S.Texas,there is not much of anything really,lol,Just 2 big box stores...Going to look at Menards online store to see what I can find...

Scott

Rockler has the Irwin parallel clamps on sale this month. I don't know anything about them but they have two 24" and two 40" for $99. Sounds pretty good and hopefully you have a Rockler store near by to look at them.

Mine will be simple, to keep my shop clean this year. By the time summer rolls around my shop is usually a mess, and then over the summer more and more stuff seems to make its way into the shop, and by the time I get back to work down there in the fall, I have to spend a couple weekends just cleaning it up again. This year I want to change that cycle. Also, I want to replace my outfeed table with something a bit more functional, maybe a downdraft air filter table, just have to find a nice industrial squirrel blower on the cheap.

Chuck

Mine is simple as well, get all caught on up the big list-ha ha! I have a lot of projects I need to get done but the main thing I really have to get better at doing the projects that just don't seem fun-like a few places in the house that haven't had trim for a couple of years because I keep putting it off. This would probably be pretty big brownie points with my wife as well ;)

Nate

Now that I've finished up my first furniture project, and am getting close to finishing an ongoing bathroom remodel, I'm planning to take a break from that type of work and focus on getting my basement shop to a usable state. It's quite a mess right now, and not well set up or organized, since I'm still new and learning as I go. I'm also hoping to get some good practice in with hand tools, now that I've picked up a decent set of chisels, and hope to have a bench plane in the near future.

If you live in an area that has Menards, watch the sales fliers. Every other month or so they have Jorgensen parallel clamps on sale for $10 - $20 off depending on size.

The trick is to take that Menards flyer to Home Depot and they will price match plus an additional 10% off. I get the 48" clamps for like $28. Great deal..

Of course, the resolution is to get into the shop more. But the biggest resolution is to clean up the shop more. (And to get the stuff that doesn't belong in the shop out of the shop. Like car repair manuals. Don't ask.)