Help with small lid idea please

Hello wood whispereenos!

I'm trying to design a small box for a book. I know I want the box to open from the small end as the picture shows.

The plan so far is to have 2 magnets and a pin holding it in place. I was thinking the pin will keep the lid from unintentionally sliding off, and the magnets will hold the lid against the box and flush on the sides.

I figured I would stop by here and see what others thought, You know what they say, 2 heads are better than one!

So what do you fine folks think? All advice welcome!

Thanks.

post-3157-0-42969900-1294019728_thumb.pn

So I guess that makes me 66? :)

My only concern is that the lid is rounded and flush to the sides. Nothing much to grab to release the lid. Is the intention that the owner tips the box and the book bangs the lid off? If there's no book inside, then what? Since you have only 1 guide pin, the user could push the other side off the top to get a grip, but that leads to my other concern: you should have a second guide pin on the other opposite corner as it is highly unlikely that you'll be able to put the lid on and place it flush and keep it there. Even magnets have non-uniform attraction. For example, take a fair size flat disc neodymium magnet and place a small #6 screw on it, head-down. It might snap to the middle or just off center.

Maybe add a handle? Route a grip into each long side?

Lastly, if you want to bury the magnet so it is hidden, get the long cylinder kind (not the disc). Counter-sink it slightly and cover with a plug from your project; once the glue sets, use a flush saw to take off the excess. If you put a magnet in the lid and box, you can bury them further than if you are using a magnet and metal plate.

Please show us the final product and give us some feedback on how it works.

Sure will! I have to finish up my current project, so I won't start on this one for a few days or so.

My only concern is that the lid is rounded and flush to the sides. Nothing much to grab to release the lid. Is the intention that the owner tips the box and the book bangs the lid off? If there's no book inside, then what? Since you have only 1 guide pin, the user could push the other side off the top to get a grip, but that leads to my other concern: you should have a second guide pin on the other opposite corner as it is highly unlikely that you'll be able to put the lid on and place it flush and keep it there. Even magnets have non-uniform attraction. For example, take a fair size flat disc neodymium magnet and place a small #6 screw on it, head-down. It might snap to the middle or just off center.

Maybe add a handle? Route a grip into each long side?

Lastly, if you want to bury the magnet so it is hidden, get the long cylinder kind (not the disc). Counter-sink it slightly and cover with a plug from your project; once the glue sets, use a flush saw to take off the excess. If you put a magnet in the lid and box, you can bury them further than if you are using a magnet and metal plate.

Basically this is a travel case to go in a purse, backpack or whatever..

The pin is not really a "guide pin" it's more of a pivot pin that will also keep the lid from getting pushed off while in transit.

I want to make the lid slim and smooth to help prevent it from getting caught on something which would knock/push it off.

I have 1/16" X 1/8" neo- magnets that I will use, According to You, I will need to use them in the lid and box to keep the lid perfectly flush with the box (thanks for the tip!)

Basically, to open it, all You would have to do is push the lid to the side, which will pivot the lid on the pin and then pull the lid off the box.

I will use Mark's(The Wood Whisperer's) tip on using a Fostner drill bit to remove the bulk of the wood before routing it.

Although it's kind of a boring little box, I'll post some pics when I'm done.. B)

Basically this is a travel case to go in a purse, backpack or whatever..

The pin is not really a "guide pin" it's more of a pivot pin that will also keep the lid from getting pushed off while in transit.

I want to make the lid slim and smooth to help prevent it from getting caught on something which would knock/push it off.

I have 1/16" X 1/8" neo- magnets that I will use, According to You, I will need to use them in the lid and box to keep the lid perfectly flush with the box (thanks for the tip!)

Basically, to open it, all You would have to do is push the lid to the side, which will pivot the lid on the pin and then pull the lid off the box.

Okay, as a pivot it makes more sense. To clarify what I meant, the magnets when attracted to a smaller piece of metal -- especially in a slide like you have it -- may hold in a different place naturally than you want so the lid won't be flush. If you have two magnets, I believe they will line up, but it would be worth testing on scrap or having a good backup plan if they don't line up flush. Trying them out in some scrap wood would also let you decide if their holding strength is enough or too much.

I will use Mark's(The Wood Whisperer's) tip on using a Fostner drill bit to remove the bulk of the wood before routing it.

Although it's kind of a boring little box, I'll post some pics when I'm done.. B)

It's not a boring box at all; clever actually, but I did catch the liaison between you last two lines ;)

I hate to spoil the party, but there is one problem to consider. Magnets in purses, containing credit cards. My wife had to replace both a credit card and cash card, twice, till she stopped using her handbag with a magnetic catch. Just a thought, and it was a big magnet - an inch in diameter.

I have a lttle idea myself for a pencil case type box, with an 'end grain' lid using a sort of interference fit - though I haven't been able to test it out yet. Since the longer sides will flex a little (pressing them inwards), I was thinking of putting two (or better 4) brass screws in the sides, 1/8" proud, heads cut off, or filed to leave a slight rim, matching - but slightly offset holes in the lid - possibly brass lined for wear. Squeeze to close, then the 'heads' grip in the holes. Or perhaps just bend the heads slightly. Tricky to get off again on such a slender top though, and they would be dangerously close to your rounded edges. Perhaps the process can be inverted, brass screws in the top, lined holes in the walls.

John