For lack of a shop...

wtnhighlander

I dont know what it is about those old jointers, but they scare the living bejesus out of me. "made to last forever". "Arn!". "dont make them like they used to" are all arguments ive heard before, but ive seen 3 jointers from the turn of the century with torn up lips where blades have come loose and the machine nearly self-destructed. One of them had the clam-shell style cutterhead, which are known to be dangerous and fail. What it all comes down to is my ignorance of the machines. I just mentioned the clamshell cutterhead, which most people in the know avoid like the plague. When to know when babbitt bearings need replaced etc. This is all crap i know next to nothing about. 

I would love a 16-20" jointer over my 12 that I have, but the next one will most certainly be european and newer than the 80s or 90s. When the time comes for a dedicated shop building with the space and probably a phase converter, i would love to have a 10ish year old SCMI, minimax, panhans, or martin(if im lucky enough on an auction). Practically speaking, jointers are the same now as they were 150 years ago, but the advancements in guards, fence design, cutterheads, not exposed motors and belts, and availability in parts makes me want something the same age or younger than me. Oh, and that price isnt that awesome for those ancient machines. i have seen them sell for so cheap. Granted, the one in your post looks like it's in fair to good shape. 

I saw that  a few days ago when I was trying to pick a jointer to buy for my shop, and was drooling over it. Ultimately I had to stick with a 6" jointer, much to my regret.  The choice I made came down to a Grizzly 6" or an Oliver 8"... Space made Grizzly the winner, and wouldn't you know it, that after the purchase I found that Oliver now makes a 6" with Byrd cutter heads for just around $1000 and I f-ing missed finding it and it makes me want to cry!

• Like 1

@Pwk5017, there is a lot of merit to your argument, but I'm one of those guys who like solid and simple over sophisticated and "safe".

For example, I don't find Sawstop attractive, because I see cutting myself as far less likely than a kick-back injury, which their sophistcated electronics don't address.

When self-driving cars take over the road, I'll probably be walking.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

@Pwk5017, there is a lot of merit to your argument, but I'm one of those guys who like solid and simple over sophisticated and "safe".

For example, I don't find Sawstop attractive, because I see cutting myself as far less likely than a kick-back injury, which their sophistcated electronics don't address.

+1 to simple. When self driving cars take over I'll still be driving my 96 pickup that I'll be able to maintain for ever because it's simple. I'll just laugh at the looks on people's faces when they see I'm still holding the steering wheel.

• Like 1

That is not really a good price for that machine. Because of the difficulties in moving, maintaining, and running big arn, they tend to be cheaper then their smaller brethren. An 8" jointer will almost always be more expensive when well priced then a 10, 12, or even 16" jointer for this reason. Frequently the big boys are sold for below scrap prices just to get them out of the way.

That said, these old machines are pretty cool and can be retrofitted with modern technology such as ball bearings and shelix heads. They will require some ingenuity to come up with acceptable dust collection systems, but its all do-able and under the right circumstances worth it price-wise. This one is so expensive that adding all that tech makes buying new actually cheaper.

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Yeah, but thats the thing, most contemporary jointers ARE simple. Sure, you can buy them with motorized table lifts and DROs, but most models are as simple as the listed machine--Motor, cutterhead, tables, and fence. The difference is they arent 100+ years old, replaceable parts, better designed cutterheads and cutting edges, better guards, much easier to move, better chip collection, not relying on 100 year old electric equipment. I will say some of these old machines have price going for them. The fact that you can buy a 16-24" jointer at auction for less than $1500 all day every day is damn near incredible. Except, you will pay that much to have it moved any measurable distance. Also, expect to put some TLC funds into it. Lastly, cross your fingers if something goes wrong, especially on the direct drive machines where the drive shaft and cutterhead are one piece--good luck with replacing that! With all this said, im glad people have the opposite opinion of mine, because i like to see these machines given a second life. There is a lot of heritage involved in every piece and it pains me to see them scrapped or left out in some yard to rust to hell. However, i wont be the guy buying and using them as a primary machine. 

Yes, but still a good example. You mention kickback, which a riving knife/splitter specifically prevents. Would you want a 100 year old table saw without a splitter or guard spinning an 18" blade as your daily user? I think a lot of the older machines are incredible, but i disagree with a lot of nostalgic blanket statements that "older is better". 60-70 year old Tannewitz saws are great. So are the oliver 270d's with the sliding tables. Like the jointer above, id take a contemporary slider over either of those machines. IMO, i think high end machines today are better designed/technology/features than the machines of yesteryear. Still, I wouldnt mind having a little museum of the old ones to admire. 

• Like 1

That is not really a good price for that machine. Because of the difficulties in moving, maintaining, and running big arn, they tend to be cheaper then their smaller brethren. An 8" jointer will almost always be more expensive when well priced then a 10, 12, or even 16" jointer for this reason. Frequently the big boys are sold for below scrap prices just to get them out of the way.

That said, these old machines are pretty cool and can be retrofitted with modern technology such as ball bearings and shelix heads. They will require some ingenuity to come up with acceptable dust collection systems, but its all do-able and under the right circumstances worth it price-wise. This one is so expensive that adding all that tech makes buying new actually cheaper.

Probably why it hasn't been snapped up yet.