Bandsaw fence

petersb

I am thinking that it is time to add a fence to my Delta 14" bandsaw. I have looked at the Kreg fence and it seems good enough for me.

Is there something else that any of you would suggest that would be better for the $$$? Maybe I could make my own.

Thank you

I just used 2 pieces of baltic birch plywood with some braces and made my own. I made it 5 inches on one side and 7 inches on the other so I could flip it for different size boards when I resaw. If you have your stock fence set accurately to the blade you can use it to place your home made fence correctly then clamp it down. I can slice very thinn veneer with no problem. Give it a try first before you spend a lot of money on one. Plus, it always give you a great sense of satisfaction to use something you made.

Dave

Dave, I don't have any kind of fence on it now, it didn't come with one. I bought it from my FIL a few years ago. I need to have something on it. I have thought about making my own but I have soooo many other things to do that I thought that it might be nice to just buy one and bolt it on and forget about it. I may end up making my own to save the funds. There are other things that I could use to spend the $ on that I can't make.

Check out the Carter Magfence. http://www.carterproducts.com/product.asp?product_id=474&cat_id=75 I just picked one up for my delta and it's unbelievably strong. It's easy to get out of the way when not in use, it sticks to the side of the saw for storage, and you are not limited to using it only for the bandsaw...plus it's cheaper than the kreg. I have made a few fences before with clamping straight edges and ply, but this takes the cake. I highly recommend it.

There is a nice shop made fence in Fine Woodworking that I recently built for my saw. Instead of glueing the fence to the base, I screwed it in so it could be shimmed if needed (which it did). If you have do not have a membership, they have a 14 day trial for free.

Brian

Check out the Carter Magfence. http://www.carterproducts.com/product.asp?product_id=474&cat_id=75 I just picked one up for my delta and it's unbelievably strong. It's easy to get out of the way when not in use, it sticks to the side of the saw for storage, and you are not limited to using it only for the bandsaw...plus it's cheaper than the kreg. I have made a few fences before with clamping straight edges and ply, but this takes the cake. I highly recommend it.

I was extremely disappointed in my MagFence. It slips with very little lateral pressure.

• 3 weeks later...

Another thanks and a heads up as to what I ended up doing for a bandsaw fence.

I went out and picked up the KREG fence today.

I also bought a new blade for resawing on it. I got the PS Wood 1/2" 3 TPI blade and WOW, does it make a difference!

I have always been one of those guys whos bandsaw is only good for cutting curves in thin material. I think that most of my problems were solved with a new blade. It sure is nice to have a fence on it too.

Anyway, thanks again to all that gave me there input on the subject. Happy Cutting! :)

I am thinking that it is time to add a fence to my Delta 14" bandsaw. I have looked at the Kreg fence and it seems good enough for me.

Is there something else that any of you would suggest that would be better for the $$$? Maybe I could make my own.

Thank you

I made my own and used it for a couple of years then last year I picked up the Kreg fence and it was a good purchase. The only down side is the table I made when I made my own was much larger then the stock cast iron table on my Jet 14" so I had to get used to using the smaller table. The resaw jig is nice and I like having the option of adding a stop or other jigs to the fence. It also has really nice adjustments for drift.

Also Kreg has great customer service. A few months ago I bought the micro adjuster for the fence and it wasn't threading into the fence bracket correctly. They had me check the threads using a #20 nut and bolt and I found that the threads in the fence were bad, they sent me out a new fence bracket, no questions asked. Very good service.

Definitely recommend the Kreg.

-Jim

Another thanks and a heads up as to what I ended up doing for a bandsaw fence.

I went out and picked up the KREG fence today.

I also bought a new blade for resawing on it. I got the PS Wood 1/2" 3 TPI blade and WOW, does it make a difference!

I have always been one of those guys whos bandsaw is only good for cutting curves in thin material. I think that most of my problems were solved with a new blade. It sure is nice to have a fence on it too.

Anyway, thanks again to all that gave me there input on the subject. Happy Cutting! :)

I have been using Highland Hardware Woodslicer blades to resaw for years, they are fantastic for resawing.