Cast Iron Router Table Tops. Good, Bad... Ugly

ChetlovesMer

It is time for a new router table. I have been getting by with my current table for long enough. I am seriously thinking about a cast iron top. Has anyone had any experience with these? If so, I have some questions.

1 – Other than Bench Dog and MLCS does anyone else make a cast iron router table top? I don’t want a leaf for my table saw. I want my Router table to be a separate piece of shop furniture.

2 – Anyone tried MLCS’s router mounting system? It has hold downs, which I guess are actually hold ups in this case. I’m curious how well that works. (Bench Dog has a more traditional insert.)

3 – What about a sliding table. MLCS has an option for a cast iron top with a sliding table. Anyone have experience with that?

4 – Do you know if the MLCS can be mounted on a shop made cabinet? Bench Dog sells just the table top; the MLCS comes with an open base. But I’d like to build my own router cabinet.

I’m looking for any feedback or experience with cast iron tops.

Thanks,

Chet

It is time for a new router table. I have been getting by with my current table for long enough. I am seriously thinking about a cast iron top. Has anyone had any experience with these? If so, I have some questions.

1 – Other than Bench Dog and MLCS does anyone else make a cast iron router table top? I don’t want a leaf for my table saw. I want my Router table to be a separate piece of shop furniture.

2 – Anyone tried MLCS’s router mounting system? It has hold downs, which I guess are actually hold ups in this case. I’m curious how well that works. (Bench Dog has a more traditional insert.)

3 – What about a sliding table. MLCS has an option for a cast iron top with a sliding table. Anyone have experience with that?

4 – Do you know if the MLCS can be mounted on a shop made cabinet? Bench Dog sells just the table top; the MLCS comes with an open base. But I’d like to build my own router cabinet.

I’m looking for any feedback or experience with cast iron tops.

Thanks,

Chet

Never tried a router table with any kind of top but, cast iron tops are DEFINITELY the best surface for any machine. They give rigidity, weight and stability. Also will greatly reduce vibration. Have you noticed just how many manufacturers have abandoned the crap Aluminium table tops and gone back to Cast iron? The top with a sliding table sounds fantastic. I have one of my shapers with a sliding table and wonder how I could do some things without it.

I didn't pay that much attention to them but Bench Dog also has stand alone cabinets that you can set one or two cast iron tops on. I have the BD router top insert for the table saw. I think it is great, comes with a nice fence. The only down side I've found so far is that if in the future I need a new insert plate the Bench Dog is an odd size. I will probably be limited to making my own or buying a BD replacement.

I have mde a few tables and finally got mine perfect for me. I have never used a cast iron top but do see the positives of rigidity, I solved this on mine by making a 2" thick top. The drawback I see other than cost is that you are locked in on a certain size (I feel most router tables are too small, just my opinion) One other thing to make sure of is that the lift or plate you want will fit in the cast iron top. As for fitting on a cabinet you make, where there is a will there is a way. Good luck and keep us posted.

Nate

I have mde a few tables and finally got mine perfect for me. I have never used a cast iron top but do see the positives of rigidity, I solved this on mine by making a 2" thick top. The drawback I see other than cost is that you are locked in on a certain size (I feel most router tables are too small, just my opinion) One other thing to make sure of is that the lift or plate you want will fit in the cast iron top. As for fitting on a cabinet you make, where there is a will there is a way. Good luck and keep us posted.

Nate

Thanks Nate,

I built my current router table in litterally an hour. (I'd post a picture, but its almost embarrasing.) I was in the middle of a project when I realized I really needed a router table. (I actually had just sold the router table I had been using about a week before that. I had built that one as well and I really liked it, but I was made an offer that I couldn't refuse.) Anyway, the current table isn't bad, but since it was so hastily built, it has a number of flaws that are starting to irritate me now. My first thought was to build a new one. But my wife actually asked if any of the commercially available ones made more sense. The lack of vibration associated with cast iron has peaked my interest. I'm leaning toward the MLCS, but the lack of an insert has me concerned. I'd like to hear from somebody who's mounted their router into MLCS's hold down system. Just to hear how the experience went.

I should also add that the router I'll put in it will most likely be there for life. So I won't have to mount it an unmount it... etc... I have a 3-1/4 HP Freud that is always mounted in the table. I use my 2-1/2 HP Porter Cable for most other tasks. I actually have 4 routers.... it may seem excessive but I actually use them all.

The lack of vibration associated with cast iron has peaked my interest.

I'm a new wood worker and a router table is high on my to-do list, so I'm following this thread for closely myself... but I'm curious, is vibration really an issue? I don't feel any vibration with my hand held router, so I wouldn't expect it to be a problem with the router mounted in the router table. I've never noticed any vibration in a router table that I've seen on TV or online and I can't recall seeing a cast iron top in any of the shows I watch (though I could have just not noticed it).

With the (little) that I know, it seems that the common feeling is that a cast iron top for a router table isn't as critical as it is in other areas.

interesting...the sliding table version lifts up on a hydraulic system to access the underside, cast iron dimensions 22x31. the extension table (for a table saw) is 16x27 and has the cut out for a lift system or their power lifter (which is interesting as well). could you design a cabinet system where the extension table drops in as an insert itself? this was you could enlarge the work surface as needed, add a sliding table, use the lift of your choice and get the benefit of cast iron.

looks like bench dog top 32x24 and gives you the most flexibility to build your own cabinet and peachtree has an extension wing 27x15 about the same as mlcs.

other than that you're probably looking at a custom milled slab. see them in cnc shops alot for marking/laying, gauging and inspection work, no idea where they get them or how much it costs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also been thinking about upgrading to cast iron router top. I made my own out of melamine for a TS insert and picked up a really cheap router table with a thick pressed top (Rockler I'm guessing). Anyway I was ready to buy a Bench Dog after I picked up the screaming deal on the Jessum router lift only to realize the plate sizes don't match up. I called Bench Dog and they said they have no plans to make different size plate openings. He did finally tell me that Peachtree does make the exact same tops with the other popular size openings.

So just make sure you have the plate sizes in mind if you already have some or have a preference towards certain brands.