Central Arkansas, represent!

Denette

Hey everyone!  I've been on here for a while and just now noticed this section of the forum.  So yeah!  I'm in central Arkansas - Conway, to be specific.  Hardwood lumber can be hard to come by in this area, so I'm going to also make this post useful for any other termites living around here.  Here are the three best dealers I'm aware of that sell to the public.

1. Acadian Wood Products

2. Les Steen Hardwoods

3. Urban Timbers

Hey bud! Seen Ya on here but didn't know you didn't go thru here to formerly introduce yourself? Not to worry, definately not a prerequisite. My mom was from southern Arkansas and the few times I was there, it was much before I knew lumber was used for anything but framing. So you guys have mostly "pine" hardwoods? 

12 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Hey bud! Seen Ya on here but didn't know you didn't go thru here to formerly introduce yourself? Not to worry, definately not a prerequisite. My mom was from southern Arkansas and the few times I was there, it was much before I knew lumber was used for anything but framing. So you guys have mostly "pine" hardwoods? 

Yeah.  There are all sorts of so-called lumber dealers that offer nothing more than wall studs and softwoods.  That said, my local big box stores somehow have high-quality plywood and full 4x8 sheets of 3/4" MDF for 25 bucks, so that's nice.  I'm pretty sure that's not the norm in most places, though I may just be talking crazy because don't really frequent bog box stores outside my area.

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

@Denette, all I know about Arkansas is Little Rock and Hot Springs. I see Conway isn't that far from the capitol. Do you know if there is still a place called "Casa Bonita" down there?

Hey, Little Rock and Hot Springs are nice!  Conway is "The City of Colleges," with 3 full-on universities in a city of like 65,000 people.  I've heard of that restaurant, but I don't think I've ever been there.

• 5 months later...
On 12/11/2016 at 8:18 AM, Denette said:

I've heard of that restaurant, but I don't think I've ever been there.

I am in Little Rock. I am sorry to tell you that Casa Bonita is long gone. I do recall going there regularly in it's day.

Denette, are you aware of the Arkansas Woodworker's Association?

Good to see local folks around here.

I am in Little Rock. I am sorry to tell you that Casa Bonita is long gone. I do recall going there regularly in it's day.

Denette, are you aware of the Arkansas Woodworker's Association?

Good to see local folks around here.

Yeah! Meets second Tuesday of the month or something like that, right? The guys at Les Steen are always inviting me.

7 minutes ago, Denette said:

Yeah! Meets second Tuesday of the month or something like that, right? The guys at Les Steen are always inviting me.

They are a nice bunch of folks. I used to go regularly but am not able to at the current time.

• 6 months later...
On 6/4/2017 at 9:26 PM, Emmrys said:

They are a nice bunch of folks. I used to go regularly but am not able to at the current time.

Just a heads up, the Arkansas Woodworkers Association invited me to speak at their January meeting.  I'm doing a how-to on blind mitered dovetails.  Should be a good time.