Help me improve this workspace

newbiewoodworker

Frankly, I am always tripping over stuff… Also, it is a pain work for long periods in.

But, maybe you can provide me with some ideas on how to make the shop a little more cozzy…

Don’t get me wrong.. I love my little shop… its where I go to stress relieve… but when you trip and go falling into the workbench.. it is never fun….

Here are the pics, for you to provide suggestions from.

post-3378-0-02363500-1294698831_thumb.jp

post-3378-0-64600800-1294698841_thumb.jp

post-3378-0-47506300-1294698850_thumb.jp

post-3378-0-04358000-1294698861_thumb.jp

first question is are you going to park a car in this space? if not i would put a full length bench down one wall with your chop saw in the middle or down towards the door in case you do longer stuff. you can have major storage for your big portable power tools like your jointer and planer. you can have drawers and slides that come out. i would have your table saw against the opposite wall with a rather large outfeed/assembly table that you can put your planer or jointer on when in use. i will have to post some pics on my profile, but here is a link anyway http://woodtalkonline.com/user/577-jason/. i have my shop setup like that cuz i have a small space. rob horton has a good idea, if you put up shelves about 18 to 24 inches from the top around the three walls that would give you lots of storage.

No car: I told pops I would nail the door shut if he did bring it in. Only dealing with the snowblower... and so far no rust from it...

I wanna avoid the bench on the wall thing, since I really don't wanna re-do by workbench, yet again. Truth be told, more of an assembly table. But its a solid tortion-box...but only one side is plywooded.. 1in of ply, then a sheet of Formica.

• 2 weeks later...

First step is to get some of those tools (and certainly your workbench) against the wall, and make your walk-space the center of the shop. You can put a fold-down outfeed on your TS, and aim that at the center walkspace when you need longer cuts. Get some shelves up and get everything on the floor, off the floor. And get some good light in there, its too dark! ;)

I'm with Rob on this one. Get some of that stuff up off of the floor and on some shelves/pegboards.... whatever you think works for you. I personally gained a huge amount of floorspace by building shelves up high all around my shop to store all of the "non-shop" related things.

This is the hardest part for me but picking up after myself really helps making shop time more enjoyable working in a clean space.

i would only add the following..

be brutal about not allowing things in your space that don't need to be. house trash cans, yard equipment, etc.. if it doesn't help you make furniture, fight like hell to keep it out.

if it were me, i'd exclude my tablesaw, jointer and any other space sucking, power tools i could live without. but that's a fairly personal work style choice..

seems like a pretty fun project to me.