My First Workbench

15 members have voted

1. 1. Deal or No Deal

I made a couple of trips in and out of my neighborhood today and noticed a small workbench sitting beside the road in front of a house down the street. My wife said she had seen it earlier but didn't think it was what I was looking for. I agreed. On my last trip, to the dump, I noticed the home owner outside so I decided to ask what he wanted for it. He said $20 and I took my workbench home! It will get me started until I can build my own. Opinions welcome...

Regards,

Mark

post-1788-0-04911500-1294700309_thumb.jp

post-1788-0-23490800-1294700400_thumb.jp

Mark,

Great Score!!! Whats not to like about it? Face Vise, End Vise, Tool Tray. I would take a wrench and check that all the bolts are tight on it and to sturdy up the frame. I had more than that invested in a plywood work surface easily! Should be serviceable for many years to come.

Roger

I did some searching online and found a few of these benches, the cheapest being $237. My drawer needs repair, it's missing a lag bolt nut and a couple of dogs but I still think it is probably going to be near impossible to beat that deal anytime soon... Unless someone wants to sell me one of those new Unisaws for $300!

You done good. That's a nice look shop you have in the background. ;)

It is in the breakfast nook at my new house. My wife said "Its not staying there is it?" To which I replied, "Yes, until we get rid of all the boxes in the garage." I told her that the sooner we get the boxes sorted out, the sooner I can move the bench, set up shop, and build her a proper table for that spot. B)

Great deal! Did you ask the previous owner what else he has for sale?

He also has a 14" Jet bandsaw he is selling for $300. He said it needs a service that would cost around $100. The rubber on the upper wheel is coming off and the blade walks all over the place. Doesn't seem like quite the deal especially when I don't yet have several other items on my tool wish list.

Mark