Toss your Roubo in the garbage!

Llama

11 minutes ago, Mike. said:

how about a 10 page article on soap as a finish.  1) it is a bad finish and 2) FWW did the same exact article a few years ago, but with better photos and fewer pages.

Yup, that is a shining example of WTF but that was also written by CS and was in the same issue as the Shaker boxes. Flexner also did a shorter one on soap finishes a few years prior in pop wood

Mike, I don't disagree with your points except I think PW will find it's way back.  They might even be stronger in the long run.  I give credit to Megan for trying to help them find their voice again, but it is a daunting task. I am presently in a situation where the visionary is retiring and we have to ask what our company looks like after.

I didn't care much for H&E either.  On the other hand, I have learned a lot from Chris - and Marc, and Rob, and Shannon, and Mike and Eric and gee-dub and wdwerker ...  

I am really glad that there are so many platforms for learning and growing in the craft - including this forum.

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

how about a 10 page article on soap as a finish.  1) it is a bad finish and 2) FWW did the same exact article a few years ago, but with better photos and fewer pages.

That soap article was what killed Pop Wood for me.

Just now, Mike. said:

Exaclty.  It was clear that 

1) they are stretching for content and

2) they would let Schwarz publish anything, even though he has not officially been in charge for years.  

That article was something I'd expect The Onion to publish.

Yeah, the soap finish was a useless article from my perspective.  If I am down to soap to topcoat my project, I should just leave it bare. Could I just use a few coats of hand sanitizer until I get the sheen I'm looking for?  And if my wife wants a Shaker box, then she can buy one - or six.

I haven't given up on PW.  Heck, I just got a Woodcraft magazine (by accident it appears) and there are a couple of articles in there I like though I probably wouldn't subscribe to the magazine. If you look hard enough, you can find something worthwhile in most mags.