Toss your Roubo in the garbage!

Llama

I saw Schwarz on The Woodwright's Shop showing off a bench he designed by looking at a wall relief carving from some Roman ruins. If that's the same bench you're talking about, he can keep it. I like my mechanical advantages, thank you very much!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Kinda glad someone is preserving the knowledge.

I am too... I certainly toss a lot of crap at Schwarz... He gets it honestly though. I think some of it is his excitement for the next great woodworking discovery... The part that bothers me as it happens so often it comes across as disingenuous.

Steve, you should look into the Mortise and Tenon books. They are full of information! (including this Roman bench)... 

In a world filled with content creator trendsetters Chris is a major trendsetter in handtool benches.  His focus is on historical woodworking methodologies and this sparks a constant evolution of his bench design.  Handtool purists often spend a lifetime in search of the perfect bench and generally go through many evolutions, Chris just feeds this desire with ideas.  

I welcome anything that helps our understanding of the craft. I too saw the Woodwright episode about the Roman workbench. Will I build one? Nope. Do I think it helps our scholarship about how one aspect of woodworking could have been done? You bet.

As for giving someone grief because they've written articles and books about their passion, all I can say is "Go for it!" There's plenty of room in the world for more articles and books about woodworking. Writing for publication is a lot harder than it looks and we need all the successes we can get. (Spoken from experience, with 15+ books about software to my credit.)

• Like 2

He's the first to tell you not to listen to him if you find a way that works better for you.  I've met him a few times and he's cool, I don't think he enjoys getting the messiah treatment by some of the fans.  I have quite a few of the Lost Art Press books and have enjoyed all of them, but if you're not interested in a historical bent then obviously they won't appeal.  The only criticism of the business ventures would be that I can't wrap my head around the Crucible Tools offerings, at prices that I could have the items hand forged by a blacksmith.  But I guess things cost what they cost, not much economics of scale having niche items manufactured. 

I enjoy reading and watching Schwarz's material - and Marc's, Pekovich's, Kenney's, St. Roy's, David Marks', ShannFitzpatrick, many of y'all's and others. I glean as much useable information as possible from the best teachers/practitioners I can identify. I like learning so I tend to immerse myself in whatever I'm doing. I keep whatever fits my methodology and practice then file away the rest. 

I do agree with Eric about emphasis. I need to build a new workbench but haven't decided which style. Being exposed to a variety is great but in the final analysis it must be based on how I work not how someone else does. Mine will incorporate what fits my approach which I am still refining. 

As someone who works in the field of history, I like learning about how woodworking used to be done even though I have no intention of ever building a Roman style bench. I equally appreciate Schwarz's study of the Studley tool cabinet though I will never build one. Keeping the history alive is a valuable and enlightening practice. I sincerely appreciate Chris' willingness to delve into difficult texts and trying to bring out some nuggets worth considering. I ain't reading Ruobo's tome:) 

As I improve and evolve in woodworking I tend to gravitate to people who challenge me and share a design aesthetic. I started out watching YouTube guys using pallets and plywood (forgive me Father Eric, for I have sinned - LOL) to build basic projects with pocket holes and butt joints. It was a starting point. I'm at a different stage now and am grateful there are so many opportunities and platforms to grow in the craft - including this forum!!

• Like 1

If you read Schwarz's book on benches he boils it down pretty well.  Heavy, stable, not too wide and as long as you can fit into your space. The Roman bench fits with his ideas from the Anarchist Design Book on building furniture (and benches) without a lot of tools or difficult joints. And he clearly states you can ignore his advice. I've always found it pretty darn good.  And Eric, he only uses nails in some of his project.