Plane ID

Squareandsharp

Great looking plane. Cant tell from the cap iron who might have made it. Take a little lacquer thinner or vinegar with a scrub brush a remove the build up on the top of the cutting iron. It should be stamped with a maker's mark. That will tell you alot.

Also it's good to have you here. Everyone is easy to deal with and super laid back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! As @OldSouthWoodCraft said, see if there;s a makers mark on the iron. Found a reference here that looks very similar. That one was a Worth plane. Seems like the most common stamped planes were Pexto or Worth. Here's an article with a bunch of examples. There's a Pexto that looks to have the same lever cap as yours.

If you have any plan to restore it, and haven't already, check out Paul Sellers video on restoring a handplane.

56 minutes ago, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

Also it's good to have you here. Everyone is easy to deal with and super laid back.

Just don't mention Red Oak, or Alder workbenches. ;)

Seriously Square, welcome to the community. Hope you feel like sticking around.

• Like 2

Thx for the welcome.  Yes the pexto on the green felt in that article does look like the same stamped lever cap...the only stamped lever cap I have seen.  I spent the better part of today starting to flatten it...always a labor of love.    All of the planes I have I rehabilitated myself: vintage Stanley Sweethearts 60 1/2 and Jack.  My smoother is a vintage Craftsman/Sargent 409 that was also my grandfather's.

I'm going to clean this one up for my son. 

• Like 2

@Immortan D is right. I have a Worth with a stamped frog... No matter how many hours I spent fettling that thing, I couldn't ever get it to cut well. Hard to get blades for most of these as well, since Worth and Pexto used a different blade than Stanley, so most replacements and retrofits won't match up.

That said, if you enjoy the process, no harm done in trying, and maybe you'll be the lucky one and it'll cut okay.