Eastern red cedar projects

wtnhighlander

I have some red cedar boards, which were the slats of my great-grandmothers bed frame, back before box springs were common.

Currently in full 'barnwood' condition, I am casting about for a project to make with these. Seeing as there is a bit of family history involved, I'd like to make something to 'show and tell' about during the reunion in July.

Any ideas of what might look good in cedar, and require less that about 6 board feet?

I'm trying to come up with some species to pair eastern red cedar with to give you more contemporary options but I'm having trouble.  It has such overpowering color and visual patterns.  Perhaps if you built a small cabinet with a dark wood (wenge comes to mind but I know that's expensive)...and you could resaw the best cedar board you have and use it as panels for the doors.  Or some other way of using the cedar as a focal point in a piece built primarily of some other species.  Maybe straight-grained walnut would work.  I think any other red species might be too much red.  If you do choose to mix species I do think you'd be better off using something without loud grain or color since there's so much going on with the cedar already.

I struggle incorporating rustic looking species in my work.  But that's probably just because I don't dream in rustic. :)

• Like 1

Did your great-grandmother have any interests or family-legends you could use? Make it a tribute?

Things that come to mind for me are smaller projects. Recipe-card or jewelry boxes. Maybe a breadbox if she was an accomplished baker. Was she a gardener or farmer? Maybe something like a window-box for plants. You could make it for house-plants if you want the cedar to stay looking good.

• Like 1